Hi From tank Man.

Tank Man

Hi All,

My name is Shane and I work for Classique Plastics in Napier. My job for the last 4 years has been managing the heavy acrylic department, but with that being said I also build smaller tanks (mainly cylinders) too.

It was brought to my attention that we had been mentioned a few times on this forum so I've joined up to help out on questions that may arise on the topic of acrylic tanks.

Tank Man.

Hi :P

Do you have tanks of your own? If so, how many? What kind of fishies?

Fish tanks? Tank Man can you post some pics?

Take care,

Caper

Hard to believe but NO I don't own even one single tank, I like fish but don't have the time to care for them so I have never built myself a tank.

I don't have a place to host any photos at the moment but if someone wants to host a few I can send some. Most of my pictures are of empty tanks in the factory with the exception of some taken at places like Underwater World in Pattaya (Thailand) which we built for them.

Tank Man.

OK here goes....

MVC-036XSmall.jpg

This one is 1830 OD x 2400 high and 40mm thick.

2280TANKSmall.jpg

This one is 2280 OD x 1800 and 50mm thick.

dtank2Small.jpg

This one we call the "D" tank due to the window shape, it Radius is 1870mm with a viewing size of 3000 1305mm H. The main tank was made from Fiberglass board with a steel skeleton, all others made after this one were constructed from closed cell PVC sheet with fiberglass over top.

EDIT: Sorry this one is the close cell pvc one not the fiberglass board one stated above !

Tank Man.

May we ask what sort of price a tank this size goes for?

Hi Caryl,

The "D" tank built from close cell PVC with a stand and using ROHM aquarium grade acrylic is $36,000.00 + GST with out stand $32,000.00.

You could use a non aquarium grade acrylic for this tank and drop a few thousand $$ of it too.

I'll throw the freight in for free if you want one :).

Tank Man.

At that price, I'd take two!! :lol: Trouble is I can't afford to buy a bigger house to put it in so will have to decline your generous offer :roll:

How about sell your house and I'll build you a big tank, put a divider in the middle and you can live in half and stock the other side, problem solved :wink:

This is probably more suited to the seroius enthusist.....

650Stainless.jpg

It was a prototype that we used to develop the ones that are installed at Pattaya under water world. 650mm OD x 1200 tube and it stands at 2900 over all with the stainless.

Tank Man.

OH! One day - when I build my own house - I want a tank that goes throu 2 floors: Now I know who to ask to build that for me! lol! :lol: :bow:

Bottom of tank on bottom floor, top of tank to the ceiling of the 2nd floor!

That's no problem to make it, I'd suggest a concrete floor under it !

Tank Man.

the next issue would be cleaning it!!

how would you reach the bottom?? (does any one have a wet suit going cheap??)

and i hope you don't plan to try and catch any fish that are in it. :P

but otherwise, awsome tanks Tank Man and welcome to our happy little community

Hi there Tank Man, welcome aboard.

Some of those tanks are awesome, :hail::hail: actually all of them are awesome! :bow::hail::bow::hail::bow: It would be nice to have the $$$ to set something like that up. :o

My second tank is nearly as big as these though - it is called a pool! :lol: :lol:

How does the acrylic go with scratches, inside and out. And does it start to craze a bit after a while?

Again welcome aboard, you will get plenty of enquiries about tanks

Skippy,

Acrylic will scratch but it can be polished out with easy enough by your self.

Quality acrylic that has been manufactured then fabricated to the required standards will not craze. This is where most people have trouble first off they use cheap Asian sheet and then don't have the knowledge or equipment to process it properly.

As an example you must anneal it after every glue joint has set and with in a certain time frame that means you need an oven big enough to fit the tank in and that will ramp the temp and and down as required automatically.

We spent well over $100K developing an oven that is 8 x 6 x 4m high and will hold the temperature within .2 deg C of the set point to do this correctly.

Cesarz,

Fabricating acrylic sheet is not a cost effect way to build small rectangular tanks compared to what you'd pay for glass how ever yes we can do it.

The most cost effective way to have a acrylic tank is to go with a cylinder as this cuts down the material thickness required. I'm presently look at importing cast acrylic tube (No joins!) at 650 OD to make up to 1000mm high cylinders with which will be a cheaper option again than fabricating them from flat sheet. We may also look at smaller diameters too depending on interest.

MCT,

Sorry I will put some tissues out for you !

Most of our tanks and tunnels are fitted by another contractor so we don't get involved and don't have a chance to see them finished. We have been to Thailand and Malaysia last year to go through a couple that we supplied the acrylic for and take some pictures. Smaller tanks for individuals normally just get shipped out and we don't see the end product for those either.

I'll try find some pictures to post of a few.

Tank Man.

Here's a few more once again I mainly have pictures of the heavier stuff :-?

MaxsSmall.jpg

This tank has a R300mm front then 200mm straight on the sides, front is 20 and rear is 25mm ROHM sheet. The acrylic is 1400 high pictured in the work shop.

Maxs1Small.jpg

Same tank in customers house with his base and top. I built him two of these tanks as when he lowered his theme rock in by rope the first one he drop it and destroyed the whole tank !

Pattaya029Small.jpg

This one is 1120mm OD and located in Under water world, Pattaya (Thailand).

Pattaya042Small.jpg

This is the D tank in Pattaya.

Pattaya089Small.jpg

This is a R4m x 6800 x 1800mm H Panel in KL city Malaysia

Pattaya099Small.jpg

This one is R4m cut back to 4800 x 1800mm H in KL also.

wow those are seriously cool. i think it is great to see bigger tanks coming in to production instead of those silly little nano type tanks. And especially if you are able to reduce costs I think there would be a big market for bigger rectangular tanks. The cost goes up so much for bigger tanks as the glass has to get thicker too.

ps sharn how many pacu could you fit in the D tank?