Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Over dose Mg

Featured Replies

What is the effect of over dosing MG.

I have added too much mg and have a level of 1800. My test kit only goes to 1500 but I added more fluid and calculated 1800.

Everything looks fine except a yellow finger leather which has close up shop and stayed that way.

It will probably promote algae

I've heard this before. Anyone know why or where it came from? I haven't noticed any relationship between magnesium and algae.

My guess is that not a lot would happen.

Magnesium is already available in sea-water well in excess of what most animals require, mainly because magnesium salts are so soluble.

If it was an element which played a more limiting role biologically, or something which negatively effected other important parameters, i'd be more worried.

It will drop naturally, slowly, water changes will help, but I don't think there's any need to panic about it.

Layton

A level of 1500 is regarded as the upper safe level.

However I've accidentally taken mine up to around 1600 with no ill effects.

Even a 30% water change may not reduce it much although this will depend on how much magnesium is in the new water.

Example, tank water is 1800, new water is 1500. Even a 50% water change will only bring it down to 1650.

Do you have that bulk seawater supply yet? If so, no worries. But if not I'd keep alkalinity fairly high for a while & let the Mg just fall by itself, unless there are any obvious negative effects in which case may have to bite the bullet & do a massive water change.

I've heard this before. Anyone know why or where it came from? I haven't noticed any relationship between magnesium and algae.

Ive only heard of it and had no proof.

Pies explained this awhile ago. I thin he said he has experienced it.

My mag used to be at 1200, in the last month I have had it between 1300 and 1350 and have noticed an increase in hair algae, just my opinion though and I may have been overfeeding also

Interesting, my mg used to be at 1100 - 1200 and in the last couple of months I have increased it to 1300 - 1350 and have noticed an increase in corraline algae. I haven't been overfeeding

Interesting, my mg used to be at 1100 - 1200 and in the last couple of months I have increased it to 1300 - 1350 and have noticed an increase in corraline algae. I haven't been overfeeding

That's the only algae which i've found has a high demand for Mg. Problem algae doesn't seem to.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.