MAF Biosecurity visit.

Kazz

Today MAF Biosecurity visited and took samples of some plants in my tropical aquarium. I wasn't home but my daughter watched as they took a sample of ambulia and a small stunted grass I had which I thought was a micro sword. They asked about my goldfish ponds in the garden but don't know if they checked them out. They had been canvasing the area, Hamurana (around Rotorua) checking aquariums for illegal plants which had been sold over the internet. I'm interested to see if anyone else has been checked by them? :( :-?

yep had my first visit about 4 weeks ago and they did pretty much the same thing. two weeks later got a phone call and they came back took some what is classified as pest plant in couple of my out door ponds and any plantation that has been in contact with those plants. so wrote me an warning note and put my large pond under a restriction [i am not allowed to put or remove anything from the pond. [penalty up to 5 year imprisonment/ $200 000 fine or both :o ] keep me on my toes.

had my check up just late last week and i've got one more in the end of the month till the restriction is lifted. [thats where our tax money is goin :roll: ]

We've been here 12 years and the ponds have been in about 10 years and there's been no problem before. i had better keep my fingers crossed that everything is all OK cause there's no way I'm cleaning out the ponds in these b cold temps.

Fishboi what did you have to do to your ponds to keep them (MAF) happy?

How do MAF know who has fishtanks? Surely they aren't just knocking on doors at random?

they have the right to come on around outside of ppl's property so i guess they only target ppl with ponds. but i've known a couple of ppl that had precis plants taken away from their indoor tanks and they had no ponds.

what did you have to do to your ponds to keep them (MAF) happy?

i let them took everything they thought was necessary to take :cry: then had to empty it out [just the two small 200L ones they didn't make me empty my 8000L pond yewwwh] and then they sprayed them with chemicals so nothing can be put in them for at least 6 weeks.

FB, what plants did you have for them to come down that hard??

rather not say here cuz i am still on watch and don't want to get in trouble. if ur really interested PM me.

nothing too naughty [i didnt think so anyway] some i didn't even think was illegal to have.

Sharn, you're assuming that they haven't already gone after the sellers.

Could be that they already found someone selling bad stuff and are now running down the sales they made. Makes sense to me, and also explains how they know who has what in their ponds/tanks (and who has ponds/tanks). Remember, there's a record of every sale made on TradeMe and I'm sure MAF can get your transaction record quite easily with proper justification.

Would like to know what the plant was so people can avoid similar visits. If we know what it is we can just call in MAF to get it out of our tanks. I understand that you're being watched and have been warned... so how bad would it be to warn others?

They have the power to enter and inspect your property at any reasonable time if they have reason to suspect there is a problem. More powers than the police (other than for drugs) They inspected tanks in the house and garage and a glasshouse and made a list and took pictures of every plant I had. They had already visited the person I bought it from, and another person selling plant in Christchurch had a visit as well. They said they would let me know if there is a problem and I have not heard back. No point in argueing, make them a coffee and let them do their thing. I don't want noxious plants, I was selling most of them to the pet shops before they were made noxious weeds.

I understand that you're being watched and have been warned... so how bad would it be to warn others?

ture so here are couple of plants really to look out for as they are pretty common especially in the wild.

Ceratophyllum demersum L [hornwort] and Utricularia Gibba Lam [bladderwort] which flowers small yellow orchid like flowers.

if u have these its not worth having them around as its a real pain what i have to do now. [i know Ceratophyllum demersum L is a great spawning mop but better just stick to good acrylic wool]

Did the conservation guy have to ask permission or did he also have the right to check out your property without permission?

I'm wondering just how many people do have the right to just wander onto my property whenever they like.

Cheers

Jude

yeah i had a visit up here in auckland.

came in while i was at uni and asked my folks if they could inspect my tanks. they took photos of my tanks and asked me to call them when i get back.

They checked me cause i have sold tanks and plants recently on trademe.

I told them what type of plants they are and where they went and they were happy.

apparently peopel have been importing illegal aquatic plants and selling them on trademe and they want to crack down on it before it spreads to wide.

I'm sure more peopel will get a visit yet. they didnt check my pond though. maybe they couldn't see it under all teh surrounding plants.

The plant they were looking for in my case was Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata ("cuba") because they were aware I had bought it on Trademe.

They were very profesional and they do have wide reaching powers and the fines are very heavy. I think they would be interested in plants which were regarded as a new species. The Regional Council is normally interested in what used to be called noxious weeds, but they may well deal with that if they find it. It depends what the plants are. I understand that you can have certain plants but not propagate or sell them, and others are a total no no.

Kinda scary how many on this forum have had 'visits' from MAF, sorta feeling like X-files right now. Maybe they're one of those mysterious 'guests' on here, I'm sure it's not a conspiracy theory and Warren is not selling our details to MAF :wink:

They told me they got the info from Trademe, and I had an Email from the Regional Council a lot earlier and they told me they got the info from Trademe also. I don't have a problem with them. As responsible hobbyists we should not have these plants which can be a danger to the environment-- there are plenty of good plants available.

Yeah very creepy how fast they have gone through so many people.

I didnt realise they would have done the whole country pretty much already i just figured it was a few guys making their way down a list starting at the top. suppose this way they have the element of surprise so the word doesn't get spread to quickly and they aren't able to catch the bad guy.

but so true about being responsible hobbiests. if its illegal just dont do it whether its your hobby or not.

very creepy thought.... they're watching us all in fact their watching you right now.................... :o:o:o:o:o