HELP flat worms???

JDM

i will be following reef's instructions, but i have a small question, dose the 20% water that i took out while doseing with exit (then return to the tank after 20min) remove the need for a water change?

No not at all, removing the water just increases the % of treatment/water that is still in the tank.

I usually aim to do as large a water change as practible once the treatment is done. Sometimes even do a water change wait another hour or two and do a second change. I would rather be safe than sorry and as long as you do your water changes correctly they aren't going to cause any harm, just a bit of extra work.

As an aside has any one else noticed less algae after dosing for FW's? Pies and I both notitced it in our tanks but we collect water at the same time etc so may have been coincidence.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, back when I dosed the first time my tank was absolutely overrun with hair algae and cyano. Like an inch thick on EVERY surface. Could sit there grabbing full handfulls all day. Dosed with FWE and in a week or so the algae was all totally gone. Seems like too much of a coincidence.

no need to go any further reef, your an importer, you import certain products, there are other importers that import other products. JMD, who my post was directed at answered in a good way, dismissed it, so give it up.

I don't want to be banned, so................

I think your dig would be fair enough if I was trying to sell/ promote the product but I don’t see a post which I deliberately promote flatworm exit. I did not even start the thread.

Flatworms can kill fish so i though i would add value by telling everyone how to use the product correctly.

Ok guys.. Let's not go there again and get "another" thread locked.

Commercial promotions have their own forum.. and killing someones thread to promote goods is not allowed.

Please keep on topic.. or start a new one of your own in the correct location.

Posts made to create a reaction will be removed without warning.

Bill.

Mod.

i think this has got a bit out of hand, no one has come up with another option for treating flat worms other than using flat worm exit. this in mind what other products were we going to discuss?

i would like to thank reef for explaing to me (and anyone who reads this ) how to correctly use the product. IMO i dont feel that reef was promoting this product in any way, and as it is the only way to remove flat worms, having advise from an experanced reefer who has used this product in there tank, is very important to me.

i didnt really want to get involved in this but as i started this thread i felt my thorts might count for somthing.

thankyou to everyone who has posted on this thread, all your comments are very helpfull to me, and any one who may see this thread in the future (remembering that is how i discovered that i had flat worms-by reading old posts).

Look i can give you a horror story if you want about what flat worms can do to your tank as most poeple know i have wiped my tank out killing them.If you have alarge population of flat worms you can never suck out enough.I did suck out all the eye could see and had 800ltrs of water ready to go in incase anything went wrong.Well it did because the ones you can see have nothing on the ones you cant see or get.I recomend from experiance to strip your tank of all rocks and coral.Have another tank with you tank water in it and a pump going with a hose on it and wash all you possibly can off and also suck the remains out of your tank.If you dont want to go to that extreme have at lease the whole amount of water your tank holds as back up and there will still be a high chance of death.Stip it down its the only way.I was to lazy and payed the price.After washing all your rocks and tank put every thing back then get it running then add the flat worm exit.Wait one month or so then do it again and you will be flat worm free.IT EVEN KILLED THE BACTERIA IN MY LIVING ROCK.

HAD TO GO THROUGH START UP CYCLE AGAIN.

• 1 month later...

treating today! :-?

im just over an hour in, have treated as per insturctions, within 5mins the flatworms were coming out of no where (i had syphined all i could see just prior to treating). i syphened all the dead flatworms as they were being killed, this has seemed to help with the toxin as around half the flatworms were removed just as they died. i did a 10% water change while waiting half an hour and then turned my sump back on with 800grms of carbon in it. im just waiting for another 100ltrs of water to come up to temp and i will do a 25% change just to be safe.

so far so good :bounce:

ok, 25% water change done, prior to doing this i blew out all the rocks and created a sand storm during the rock clean so there should be little to no flatworm bodies left. i cant see any on very close inspection. happy with that.

my clams (3) havnt opened fully, there open a little but there mantel is still retracted and my anemone is not as fulled out as it normally is, a couple of leather dont have there polyps out but other than that everything is as nomal, my frogspawn has full extension, my xenia and finger leathers look great, acros and montis dont have full polyp extension but still look great.

when am i out of the "danger zone"? im pritty sure that if it was going to go bad it would have done so by now? 3 hrs since treatment, ill just keep watching everything. (its nice, the perfect excuse to sit and stare at my tank for hours on end :o )

I would imagine someone in NZ knows what's in it, and also what's in Stop Parasite, obviously they shouldn't divulge this commercial info, but MAF should know and if a product makes any claims as an animal remedy or med of any variety then NZFSA (ACVM Group) should also know.....

now 6hrs after treatment, all good, clams etc back to normal, super happy with the outcome.

there are a few flatworms still around (ive seen 3) so i will retreat on sunday and that will finish them off.

:bounce: :bounce:

I have observed my six line eating them. But he won't eat many at once. My theory is you nuke them with SFE, and once the numbers are low enough the six line will finish them off.

Had flatworms once, never could quite eliminate them. They always seemed to be gone after a SFE treatment, but a few months later they would be back. Then introduced a six line and that was it, no more flatworms. He could not control a big population but I did a FWE treatment then he must have finished off the survivors.

i retreated tonight, couldnt see any around but did it anyway and still couldnt see any. i didnt bother with a water change tonight, i had done a 10% and a 25% on the day of first treating and then a 10% yesterday (day after first treatment) everything looks ok, still no death so must have done it right. :wink: