HELP flat worms???

JDM

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are photosynthetic so during the day they go anywhere there is good light, they also tend to hang out in groups. Because of the small size they can pass unnoticed, a while back I didn't realise I had them till I took a closer look at a few little specks, then Yikes! thousands of them.

If they reach plague proportions they start to make the tank look dirty, plus they sit all over the corals and shade them. Other than shading they do not do any harm to corals, they derive their sustenance purely from nutrients in the water, plus photosynthesis. With the advances in the hobby nowadays towards lower nutrient tanks, these flatworms are less of a problem than they were years ago, but can still sometimes do surprisingly well even in low nutrient tanks.

no sign of any flatworms :bounce:

my tank is 4ft around 400 ltrs in the display, this set up is about 6 months old but most of the rock has been transfured when i upgraded so the rock would be around 2 years or more. i had nutrient problems towards the end of my last tank and i think thats where the flatworms were able to get a population started, then the upgrade came along which brought with it higher nutrients and bingo, even with the relatively lower nutrients that i have now they were still breading faster that i could syphon them out.