New Tank!!!!!

ljtan55

Just got my new tank!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: It just got delivered today in pieces, gonnna spend the rest of the week and most of the weekend - girlfriend's not gonna be happy - setting up the tank, and setting up the cabinet. It came in pieces, without instructions, but me being me told the delivery guy that i'll be fine :o I can just see the cabinet giving way and flooding the living room. Anyways its a Jebo R390, about 224 litres, will post pics when i get back from work

Alrighty! Just managed to figure out how to set up the cabinet. Took the whole night, but finally got it in place.... I think... theres about 5 screwy things and 5 hingy things thats left. Im thinking (and really really hoping) those are just spares.... :roll:

Took me about another hour to slot the filter in it. But overall it looks great! I've never had that big a tank before, biggest would be maybe 10 gallons? Still cannot believe its sitting in my living room. Just hope the landlord won't have a fit when she finds out I have 3 tanks in my one bedroom place :lol: Having said that its nuthin compared to the HUGE tanks I've seen on this forum, and 3 is nuthin compared to 20!! Still amazed at that pic Keri Anne. :o

Anyways will be a while before the fishies will be swimming around, need to find the *right* driftwood, and playing around with the idea of using a gravel stuck to a polystyrene background for a textured backin.

Caryl, i've tried getting the gf into it, but she listens for about 10 minutes and then gives up and watches shortland st. :-? Doesn't help that everytime she wants to talk to me she gets grunts for reply cos I'm reading fishy stuff online :D Ah well, shes the one that got it for my birthday so its all good.

The quarantine/guppy tank is all set up as well, 10 gallons with a sponge filter. Its amazing how much crud 3 guppies can produce in a week - did my first water change and the water aint exactly crystal clear.

Anyways the set up so far:

1. Jebo R390 224litre aquarium w/ stand - 20 x 3 watts

2. Eheim 2213 external filter - dont know exactly how i'm gonna fit the tubes in but i reckon i can wait setting it up until the discus go into the tank, cant seems to find replacement filter material for the 2213 - been to HFF mt eden, and albany, and Jansens Botany.

3. 150watt aquaone heater, and 300 watt fluval tronic - read somewhere 2 heaters better than one, and the fluvals got a cut off thing so it wont cook the fish.

More updates as the tank progresses :D On the shopping list, lots of dark coloured gravel, big rubbish bin to contain water for aging an heatin, an amazon plants - prob need low level light plants eh? 60 watts for 50 gallons. And polystyrene. Does anyone know whats a good glue to use?

LOL at spares thing :lol:

might wana re-assess the heaters. thats 450W all up and most tanks will get by well on one watt per litre. the 300W alone would do it and could also cook the tank pretty easy if it did jam on :o

on the filter material- i dont own an eheim so im not sure if they have specific cartridges etc in them but my canister just has empty baskets that i can stuff with whatever i please. is this the same as yours? if so you dont need to use specifically eheim products, they often cost twice as much as the next product thats exactly the same but without that pretty label :lol:

everything else seems to be in good shape, seems like youve got everything on track :wink: big ups to you for doing all your reasearch first, your discus are going to love you for it :D

Alrighty, first time posting pictures, first few are with the webcam camera - couldn't find the proper one, and couldn't wait to set up it up. Came delivered in pieces, hood, tank and cabinet. This was the cabinet in a couple of pieces, btw there ARE supposed to be spares, called the seller :D .

Picture3.jpg

Pic corrected.

Your prob is that you had the bb code ticked and the html ticked when you posted... which disabled them both.

Deleted your other posts.

Bill

Mod

Thanks Bill, makes sense that :oops:

Picture4.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Photos of me setting the tank up

fishtank2.jpg

Picture of the tank all set up in the living room

fishtank3.jpg

Soaking a big piece of wood, in a really small sink :D. Got the two pieces of wood from Hollywood in Tawa Drive, picked up cardinals too, they're getting acquainted with the guppies in the quarantine tank. Not many cardinals anyplace else - Jansens Mt Eden didn't have em, HFF Mt Eden either. Guy said a guy with a 90 gallon tank bought their whole stock :o . Wish that were me :D

fishtank6.jpg

Tank minus the water - gravel from HFF Mt. Eden, took an hour rinsing till clear, hands hurtin now :D

fishtank10.jpg

Fillin up the tank with the sink pump - pretty handy btw

fishtank12.jpg

With water in an everything, water slightly cloudy, but cleared up, and now its cloudy again. Heaters in but at an angle, out of sight.

fishtank20.jpg

fishtank13.jpg

Plants in at the mo: sagittaria grass - i think, java fern tied on to the driftwood, medium sized sword in the background.

fishtank17.jpg

Anubias nana? Stuffed into a crack, with a rock to prevent it going walkabout.

fishtank15.jpg

Indian fern at the back, plenty of room to groww ... hopefully :lol:

fishtank16.jpg

End result, still looking kinda bare especially at the back. Bunged in the 2nd heater to get it up to 29 celsius. Incoming plants - more java fern, stargrass, and marble queen swords!

Pics of the new occupants and sacrificial cycling guppies once the tank is ready :D

fish1.jpg

i KNOW.. they were supposed to be sacrificial cycling guppies, you know the ones that you put into the tank to get it to cycle faster....and now Im too attached!!! And I think the female is pregnant.... what kind of monster would I be to expose a pregnant mother to ammonia toxicity... *sigh*.

Love the guppy with the pink in the tail... be careful guppies are a very dangerous thing - if you get too attached you may have to build a fish room or 2 for them! :lol:

My first guppies (in my first ever tank... last July ;)) survived the cycling without issue.

The tank looks really good btw.

Wow Al!

ur tank looks so great!! i'm so jealous!! I wish my tank was that big! i'm considerin re-aquascaping my tank coz my plants are growing absolutely everywhere its crazy!! need to start trimming everything up! keep us all posted btw i'll c u on sat! :)

Hey thanks for your comments guys. Thanks antwan was wondering what it was, Im running 60watts at the moment, all included in the hood. Not sure whether thats enough tho, about 1 watt per gallon. Thinking about adding more but its difficult with the hood set up. Any suggestions?

Lorraine, yeeeaap see ya on Sat in Welly. Wish I could go see your tank in palmy while I'm down.

Anyways tanks still cloudy.... filter's beginning to turn yellow so I'm guessing the tannins in the driftwood are leeching. 2 more days and the guppies are so goin in.

:bounce: :bounce: CONGRATULATIONS :bounce: :bounce:

without instructions

Well, unless men are different over you're way, most don't read them here...not that they don't need to most of the time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're tank is looking great...I'm reading your post & thinking *I can feel his excitment in his posts*.

The guppy on the right, I had one very similar...but he died :(

Thanks Caper, sorry to hear about your guppy. Had 4 guppies at first but the albino one was sick looking from the get go, wasn't swimming well, and just gave up one day. Bit worried about that particular guppy, hes not eating well at the moment. Hopefully he'll pull through.

LOL yeah was pretty excited doing it, think everyone at work is getting sick of hearing about the tank :roll:

Thanks Caper, the ppl in HFF in Albany must have thought I was crazy. Spent an hour taking one piece of driftwood, putting in on the floor, and then putting it back and taking another one. :D

Anyways quick update got some beautiful swords from blue, spent ages planting em, and clouded up in the water again in the process :D But happy with the final result

marblequeen.jpg

The cardinals love this one - they've been in for about a day now, and they hang around the leaves quite a bit. Only 5 at the moment, will see how they do for a week or two before I get more.

cardinals1.jpg

marblequeen2.jpg

The tall one, fills up the back nicely. A bit worried it might not be getting enough light at the moment, but it'll have to do for now. Lights in the hood might be getting an overhaul in the future.

overview.jpg

View of the tank now finally (I hope) set up with plants and all.

Anyways better go pack, flying out to Welly tommorow after work WooHoo holiday! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd put up more progress stuff on the tank, plants-wise the sag grasses that were out in the open went all brown and transparent in the past week, possibly cos of too much light, the sags in the shade seem to be doing well. Having said that they've been replaced with anubias nanas and whats left of them are recovering in the small tank.

plants1.jpg

Right hand side corner of the tank, the indian fern seems to be doing well.

righthandcorner7-6-06.jpg

A futher away view on the right hand side, the marble queens is doing alright, sending out a flower? Random red thingy bunch plant also in, kinda suspicious, can't seem to find out what it is - could not be aquarium plant I'm thinking, but its growing slowly

swordplant7-6-06.jpg

Sword plant on the left hand also flowering.. I think thats what the tentacle is... :o

5.jpg

Had a problem with beard algae in the last week, so I got these cool little siamese algae eaters, or black line flying foxes whateva you call em. Awesome little fishes.

Fish crew right now, 10 cardinals, 2 SAEs, 4 ottos. 6 sterbai cories in the quarantine tank. Also I caved and got a little CO2 nutrafin canister :oops: Ahh the budget is blown but yet again :D