Albino guppies

Devon

Hiya. Just an update. I got the half albino babyies breeding with the new albino females. Hopfully i will get some albino fry. Mgith be ordering 8 new females from someone and maybe they have been fertilised by his stock (sneaky) Worked for me last time, its just that the fry got eatin LOL

thats very good news guys. you two might be the only ones in new zealand who is attempting to breed albino guppies. good luck with it!!! :bow:

Thanks Shiuh, but I know of at least one other. :wink: I still haven't found an albino male yet so I guess I'll just have to make my own. :D

Yes PJ I have those females - they're settling in nicely. They haven’t dropped yet. (They are separated from the others.) When I got my first lot they looked as if they were pregger but in 3 months I never got an albino drop out of them – they’d fatten up a bit then loose it over and over without giving me a single drop. They seemed 'happier' once I put a male in the tank and now I have 1/2 albino babies swimming around. The crazy thing is most of the babies seem to be girls when all I want is a nice strong boy.

So while my fingers are crossed I’m not banking on the new girls just yet. We'll just have to wait and see.

How’s that Albino boy of yours? Still sulky or has he come round?

My male has never been sulky. Hes just not able to make the girls pregnant. Its apart of the albino gene as they are a defect in the first place and with it comes the fact that some just may not be able to reproduce. Unfortunatly it just happens to be my male (the only albino that I have seen at our LFS untill Tammy got the females)

Its just part of owning fish I guess.

:D

it could be a good idea to breed our albinos with just half casters because with such a limited line then we wouldnt be interbreeding as much . Being better off dow the lineI might be ordering in 8 more females soon so i will see how they go. My 1/2 males are realy horny which is good. The females dont see to be getting much fatter but my males have only just staerted with the breeding thing so i will see how it goes. I am still trying to breed my b/n too so i can get some more money to get more albinos. LOL i love albinos now.

I work with mutations in birds. Atleast maitain 3 lines and cross away from each other and once in a while come back to the main gene. Putting recessives will make the genes stroner...even though the outcome of getting albinos is small they will be strong..

At the start... get atleast 3 albino females (you should have each pair in their own tank)lets call female 1 line one and female 2 line 2 and so on....

===> put them to a good quality male (one for each female) but make sure they look alike and they are not closely related. (they should look alike because you want to get just about the same result from the pairings, setting aside the genetic makeup of the original male)

2nd generation you will have split offspring that can be crossed with another distant but closely identical to the original male. Now you will have 1/4 of the offspring that will carry the albino gene whicha are 75% outcrossed and only maximum 25% related to each other..even though there is only a 25% chance of them carrying albino gene they will be really healty (hopefully).

Now cross the 2nd generation (25% chance of being albino) of youngsters but only with one of the other lines.. example cross only line 1 with line 2, and don't do anything to line 3...(but still kee them going)

lets say for example you were lucky and put a whole lot of guppies together (2nd generation) and bingo one day you find a albino guppy. Put this guppy back to LINE 3 2nd generation offspring... you are putting together and albino (a male will be good) with another that has a 25% chance of carrying the albino gene....(if you dont get albino you know that they are carriers wich are still useful and can be put to one of the original females which is not part of the same line) from there you should be getting quality outcrossed albino that is maximum 12.5% related... which is dam good..

once you get an albino from the above stage outcross a coupl of times and you are able to make helthier lines

koool.Thanx for that.Might give that a try. The 1/4 albinos are breedign with different females so tahts alright.With the fry from that i will breed with another line. My females are getting fatter. HOpe they drop some albinos.

rcon021 you'd need over 100 tanks for that!! What I'm doing is keeping the fry from each of my Albino ladies seperate and (Hopefully) I should get a male from each. Cross those males back to differant albinos and go from there... at least that's the plan. The hope is to get 3 closely related lines going and then outcross line 1 and cross back to line 2 while keeping line 3 pure... Then outcross line 3 and cross back to 1 while keeping 2 pure etc...

Devon, if you want to put me on your MSN I'm happy to pool ideas. :wink:

no you dont need 100 tanks that means i will have to have 100 avairies...hehe.. just 3 is plenty...after you get the 2nd generation the original females should be kept clean so take them away from females... the way you are going is good too.. just outcross heaps. Even in birds you get bad bad mutations eg: birds with big big eyes

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to know one thing.. i have heard peolpe say that albino females are infertile. I havn't worked with them but is that true? (has anyone got fry from the lot that came from the recent simport?)

I think they are sold out, but any that are floating around still?

I got 8 in and about 1/2 seemed to be infertile.... only have 3 of those left (and have got 2 others since) All 3 have droped one lot of fry but only small drops. 18 in total, only 4 of which were male. They seem to abort or get baby-bound and die quite frequently too.

Ask your lfs but I believe they have to order a min of 8 (females only). So you're looking at anything from $80-$100 for your 8... If you want to try breeding them you may want to PM Devon and see if he has any males for sale from his outcross (Albino mother/normal father) as he's in Auckland too. :wink: