Runnnig 2 tanks off the 1 filter

lowndsie

One way is to put the intake in one tank and the outlet in the second tank then run a big hose siphoning between the two. You'd have to make sure the tanks are at the same level first of course, but then the hose would automatically work to keep the tanks water levels equal. So, water would flow from the outlet take to the intake tank.

Ira got that right on the nose. Remember to have a diameter that can handle the water flow from the filter.

You can also do this a bit more permanently by using PVC and definitely putting mesh over the ends of the bridge/overflow to prevent fish from traveling from one tank to the other (could be disastrous with fry involved). You can even get serious and add UV filtration in between to prevent disease transmission.

I have four tanks working with a single filter, syphoned through.

This set up worked more or less OK for almost half a year (actually, it was, first, two tanks, then three, now, four, you have the idea).

The problem to watch for is partial loss of syphon during water changes (due to air bubbles entering the tube), and, rarely, for unknown reasons. Once syphon is lost, the difference in water height develops, and makes the filter pump ineffective, so nothing really drastic happens. In particular, it does not lead to dramatic loss of water.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you may be confused, I visited the Sera warehouse in Germany this week and no mention was made of an expansion on the range, at present there are 3 available; the 900, 1100 & 1300, none have "Twin Systems" however all are very efficient & good value for money.