ID that Algae!

Zev

Ok, lets get a thread going that has pics of the algae that can grow in your tank.

What we are after is initally the name, then, after we have sorted that out, what could cause it, then, what you have done to get rid of it successfully.

This may help other members work out what sort of algae they have.

Please use your own pics, no links to other sites.

Here's one to start you off..

algae-on-grass.jpg

and same stuff but on different plant

algae-on-ambulia.jpg

Hair/Thread algae, believed to be caused by excess phosphates or iron. Remedy by removing the excess nutrient, or with Flourish Excel fertiliser double dose. Begin with one normal dose first, if fish act stressed after a normal or double treatment, do a 50%+ water change immediately.

Apparently the Amercian Flag fish is a very good eater of this but often you read this and the reality is different, haven't had one of them myself but was always curious to see if they would eat it. I have known nothing else that will touch it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anthing WRONG with having algae in your tank?

Like does it adversely affect anything other than aesthetics?

Ours is currently looking a fairly brilliant green with blue-green algae. It does actually look nice over the rocks, and I am going for a very natural look (native fish). Tis annoying on the glass, but comes off easily. ANd looks a lot nicer than the icky brown algae it seems to be replacing ;)

Stella

Excess algae can take nutrients from plants. If you have the cyanobacter which makes a bright or dark green mat over everything, it will kill the plants underneath.

There is nothing wrong with algae in your tanks per se. After all, they are just a lower form of plant but if they take over then you have problems.

Hmmm...now did I read it somewhere here or on the net...anyway, wherever I read it...all tanks have algae, so that is correct right, I mean how could it not after all its not like a swimming pool that you treat to get rid of the stuff.

Okay...I realize that I'm probably the only one here that does not have real plants, and yes I do feel guilty but the fear is stronger :o Without real plants, does that mean that certain kinds of alge won't grow in my tank?

And, will you still have algae, enough to feed algae eaters, if you don't leave your lights on????

Without real plants you are more likely to get different sorts of algae than those that grow on plants.

There's algae that grow with little or no light and as you will also be feeding algae wafers, your algae eaters will be fine.

Thanks Caryl :bow::bow:

But, my ottos won't eat the algae wafers! So, I was just wondering with summer approaching that if I don't have my lights on as much, because of the heat...would there still be sufficient algae for them????

Zev, what is the plant in the second pic with the white on it, is it every pretty :P

what is the plant in the second pic with the white on it, is it every pretty :P

err.. bad photography, since the plant is near the surface and close to the lights (2x 15w 7000k fluros) it's a bit washed out. And it is not varigated, the green is the algae, and the leaf is actually a lighter green.

Don't know what it is, I purchased it as a bulk lot off Waterplantz on the local internet auction site, they came in three bags, labeled 'foreground', 'middle' and 'tall', along with all the names of the plants in each bag, So I am none the wiser as to which is which.

Some of the plants thrive in my tank, others struggle, so I am considering some fertilizer for them.

Can I play as well? The brownish stuff on the leaves, also seems to be gumming up my older, non trimmed java moss.

Algae_big.jpg

and closer..

Algae_closeup.jpg

Any ideas on amazon community fish that would clear this up??? I do have a big old grumpy bristlenose but he ain't interested in it.

I guess a Chinese algae eater would, but would prefer not to mix.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

:lol: Gee, Zev, except at the top of the plant, I thought what to me looked fuzzy was the algae, the rest of the plant, I thought was just green with the white...personally, I loved the color and the shape :lol: