Upstairs Fishroom? Advice needed :-?

Keri Anne

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay update: :D

Flatmate moves out on Friday morning so I get to get in there with a tape-measure once I get home from work. :bounce:

I've had lots of suggestions on air pumps, as room is right beside my bedroom one of the deciding factors was noise level... eventually decided on a Sonic P-45. Now every time I go into a pet shop I want to look at how their airline is set up. LOL!

I've gone with the stands that Billarny suggested but will add extra bracing. I was going to buy some 2x4's to make a base for my stands but thanks to my boss I'm going to be getting some wood for free. :hail:

I've got 20 of the taller Brooklands 2foot tanks lined up in my hallway ready and waiting. Arrived Monday and trust me it was a mission getting them all home. (Did you know they're imported. :o )

Bought a 67m roll of airline off of Deco City Pets yesterday. (I'm sure I'm driving Julie and Bruce crazy with all of the questions I keep asking them. I'm down there at least 3 times a week lately.) And they’ve given me a good supply of poly. But I still need more so will go hunting for some next week.

Heaters, lights and irrigation hose for my air supply yet to come but all systems are go at this point.

Everybody has been so helpful and supportive that if I did a list of thank-you’s I'd be likely to leave somebody out and I don't want to do that.

Myhallway.jpg

I've got some serious line-breeding in mind for my guppies and my platties. Also a couple of swordtail lines I want to pursue. Add to that the fact that I own a breeding pair of Angelfish who’ve never been given the chance and I’ve got some bristlenoses I want to try breeding and I’m not sure if 20 tanks are enough. LOL. Will be investing in tank dividers further down the track to maximise what I have.

Hi Keri Anne, I have a pump that looks just the same as that one, just a different breed.

My advice is to throw away the "T" connection, and run a garden hose or similar around your tank setup.

From this, you run down smaller, about the same as airlines, thru a control, tap or simmilar to each tank.

You can take more than one tank connection from each bleeder, and go to a gang valve, and then to your different tanks.

I made my ring pipe so it connected up to a T and formed a complete circle.

Hope that's understandable.

Where did you get the pump and what was the cost.

A friend is thinking of doing a fishroom and was enquiring after pumps of a similar one to yours??

Thanks

Alan 104

Hi Keri Anne, I have a pump that looks just the same as that one, just a different breed.

My advice is to throw away the "T" connection, and run a garden hose or similar around your tank setup.

From this, you run down smaller, about the same as airlines, thru a control, tap or simmilar to each tank.

You can take more than one tank connection from each bleeder, and go to a gang valve, and then to your different tanks.

I made my ring pipe so it connected up to a T and formed a complete circle.

Hope that's understandable.

Where did you get the pump and what was the cost.

A friend is thinking of doing a fishroom and was enquiring after pumps of a similar one to yours??

Thanks

Alan 104

LOL Alan - that's exactly what I'm doing. It's a baby version of the one in Bruce and Julie's Fish room and I'm mimicing their airline setup.

Shiuh talk to you LFS they should be able to order one in but depending on how many tanks you're running you might need a stronger one. Bruce knows them well and I'm sure he wouldn't mind helping you out if you PMed him. I basicly told him what I was planning on doing... how many tanks etc and he gave me a few options and prices.

I've also found Warren very helpful if you can pin him down. :wink:

So I walked down to Mitre 10 on Friday after work "Just to price some things out".

(Yeah right - get me another Tui mate. :wink: )

I don't really own many tools so it was a good excuss to buy a sliding drop saw. (It was on special and if I'd bought something cheaper I'd have had to buy saw horses etc so would have been around the same price :wink: ) I also got the irrigation hose I needed for my air line and a pile of fittings (elbows, T-intersections, end caps etc). They even let me borrow a trolly for the 2 block walk home... lovely people.

I've painted *most of the wood and started putting my frames together (I've worked all weekend which is a pain. But I've found time here and there.)

Stand.jpg

As I'm using "5-level" kits to make 3-level units I've used all of the extra metal plates for bracing.

Brace.jpg

However I needed a break from my mess so thought I'd come update my progress. :D

Mess.jpg

looking good

just one thing you may want to raise the bottom shelf a little as it will be hard to start a syphon for water changes with it that low

I've thought about it but I can't really do so without restricting tank access. These stands will be placed on 5cm high lengths of wood, the bottom shelf is 13cm from the ground and I'll be adding at least 1.5cm of poly so it will be at least 19cm above the floor at the base of the tank. (5+13+1)

Also the low tanks will be grow-out/holding tanks and I will be setting them up with undergravel filters so there's another 2cm or so.

If all else fails I don't mind sucking to get it started, if I do get a mouthful of fishy water it won't kill me.

Wow :o:o Lots of people seem to be reading this thread... over 100 views since my last post.

Okay, to please the masses here's an update:

- All but 1 stand are now in place (8 shelf panels have yet to be painted)

- Half of irrigation tubing for air pump is in place.... need to go down to Mitre 10 and get some more connectors now that I have worked out how I'm doing it.

- Went shop-to-shop yesterday (Tuesdays and Wednesdays are my usual weekend not Saturdays and Sundays) on a begging mission for free poly and hit the jackpot. ----> If you're in/near Napier and need some PM me and I'll tell you which shop. They're just happy to get rid of it.

- 1/2 of tanks are now in place.

- Boyfriend finally seems interested. (OMG!) He actually asked me a relevant and constructive question today - guess he pays more attention than I think. :oops:

update.jpg

K-A, make sure you have those stands earthquake proofed by fastening them back to the wall.

I've experienced the "87 EQ and know what can happen if you don't.

And you live in Napier.

Will the tanks shuffle off the shelves in this event?

Should she have some kind of footing around the bottom of the tanks, eg a board screwed to the front and sides of the shelf that sits up about 25mm?