New rules look a bit tough?

Duke

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True.

Jetskisteve was banned for his VW avatar (if you dont know why, there is no point going into detail) and comments afterwards. BTW he gave me verbal confirmation that I could post this because he says he receives several PM's a day from people requesting prices on various products. While he cannot continue in discussions on this site for 1 month, he did ask me if I could post his email address instead for those wanting to contact him. [email protected]

I assume the above is not breaching the guidelines, simply passing on information. No point having his ban effect anyone else wanting to buy things from him?

Sorry Chim,

This is not true. Jetskisteve was not banned due to his VW avitar. It was removed with a request to change it to something that was not designed to create a reaction (see the guidelines). It was what happened after this that caused the ban...

(An unsubstanstantiated rumour was starting here!!)

I will discuss the idea of changing the avitar of a banned person with the others, it's a good idea. To date we have had so few people banned it hasn't needed to be a consideration. As the site grows however...

perhaps you should also clearly state who has been banned so that everyone is clear and no one starts rumours.....

and from now perhaps apply your own guidelines, which read

In addition, vendors/manufactures are to refrain from commenting on their competitors equipment/products (directly or indirectly). Please restrain your comments to products you manufacture or resell.

Vendors, please be aware that product pushing will also be considered a violation of the guidelines.

having watched this board quietly from afar over the last 6 months, but regularily PMed several members, it is obvious to me that most (but not all) of the posts that result in thread deltition are the result of vendors pushing or defending their products.

Warren you know who you have had to speak to over the past few years..... I think if you apply the rules you already have then you may find your life gets easier.

nuff said... back into stealth mode.

Have to agree with RnB. If you look at Reefs signature, he lists the products he sells, this is product pushing. Then have a look at some other peoples signatures, they are designed specifically as piss takes against this, inviting a reaction.

Its inconsistant application of the rules that cause problems. I'm not saying JetSkiSteve did or didn't deserve to be banned, but if he did, you don't have look far to see other breachs of the rules. Want to confirm, do a search on Zeovit if you dare.

RnB - disengage stealth mode, we all want you back!

Pie

Have to agree with RnB. If you look at Reefs signature, he lists the products he sells, this is product pushing. Then have a look at some other peoples signatures, they are designed specifically as piss takes against this, inviting a reaction.

Its inconsistant application of the rules that cause problems. I'm not saying JetSkiSteve did or didn't deserve to be banned, but if he did, you don't have look far to see other breachs of the rules. Want to confirm, do a search on Zeovit if you dare.

RnB - disengage stealth mode, we all want you back!

Pie

This is true and something that has slipped under the radar. We'll be looking for this over the next few weeks and asking people to change / update as necessary. If you have sigs or avitars of this nature it would be a good idea to change it before you are contacted. Thanks in advance for your help.

Well I don't see the point of going overboard about that.

We have a number of members selling stuff, who include Reef, Steve, and Brendan. If the avatar or sig or whatever informs people of this, from where I stand, this is useful information to the members.

Also, when there is a discussion on some product, in particular a new one that nobody has any experience with as yet, I find it silly that the vendor is not allowed to join the thread to add information, and perhaps correct misperceptions that may be in evidence, again, that would be a useful service to the members.

It's where we have competing vendors having a slanging match, then THAT may be a problem. However if the rules are to be properly enforced, then the slanging matches can be stopped, and vendors allowed to add constructive comment, then that must be a win for everybody, vendors and the rest of us.

Also, when there is a discussion on some product, in particular a new one that nobody has any experience with as yet, I find it silly that the vendor is not allowed to join the thread to add information, and perhaps correct misperceptions that may be in evidence, again, that would be a useful service to the members.

Read the guidelines, when are you all going to learn!! ALL commercial activity must be restricted to the commercial section it's as simple as that. We're going to stop the trouble caused by this!!

But is a knowledgable person correcting misunderstandings and adding valuable information to any thread commercial activity or is it just imparting an answer or helping the thread to help the hobbyist (which i thought was what this site was all about :-? ) Lets face it, if someone who sells an item can contribute valuable information to a thread WITHOUT saying it in a commercial context then surely they should be allowed to make a post. Otherwise the rule is overly restrictive and in fact significantly diminishes the benefit that members can gain from this site.

-Vendors, please be aware that product pushing will also be considered a violation of the guidelines.

-In addition, vendors/manufactures are to refrain from commenting on their competitors equipment/products (directly or indirectly). Please restrain your comments to products you manufacture or resell.

Geesh - even I can understand that. Pretty simple really - Either be a commercial member and follow the rules to get your message accross to a captive bunch of addicts for free. Or don't engage in commercial activity and enjoy posting reasonable / constructive criticism on what you want.

Geesh - even I can understand that. Pretty simple really - Either be a commercial member and follow the rules to get your message accross to a captive bunch of addicts for free. Or don't engage in commercial activity and enjoy posting reasonable / constructive criticism on what you want.

Well done one your reading abiliity Tanksman, although im not sure what the purpose of your posting was, or why there seemed to be a "tone" to it. Isnt that one of the things the whole thing is about removing ? :roll: :roll:

I dont mind too much of what the vendors(reef and jetski) post. We all know they import, and for instance when jetski did a review of a skimmer - its obvious that it was gonna be one of his products.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/trying ... 11646.html

But I was still interested, and he did refrain from mentioning price depite being asked.

Both of them are still hobbyists - and I dont know about jetski's but reefs tank is one of the best around. I think its a bit difficult to regulate, and at the end of the day they probably do get free advertising, but they arent too blatent about it, and they contribute things too.

It just means I take every thing they say on equipment issues with a pinch of salt.

:D

I dont mind too much of what the vendors(reef and jetski) post. We all know they import, and for instance when jetski did a review of a skimmer - its obvious that it was gonna be one of his products.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/trying ... 11646.html

But I was still interested, and he did refrain from mentioning price depite being asked.

Both of them are still hobbyists - and I dont know about jetski's but reefs tank is one of the best around. I think its a bit difficult to regulate, and at the end of the day they probably do get free advertising, but they arent too blatent about it, and they contribute things too.

It just means I take every thing they say on equipment issues with a pinch of salt.

:D

Feelers - Perfectly put mate ! Im sure most of us are just like you and capable of reading posts from commercial members (who also happen to be here as hobbyists too in the main) and extrapolating useful information and ignoring the "blurb".

I agree with the mods when they want to stop slanging matches between those with opposing commercial interests, but this should not require them not to post on non-commercial forums completely.