Alarm system / Dialer

Duke

My step brother ownes a large eletronic manufacturing company and this is the sort of thing he does. I have asked him to look at a simple alarm system which will contact you if the tank has a power cut etc by text.

No problem.

Use an GSM modem which will recieve four inputs, this will allow us to monitor 4 differnt things. I was thinking of the following.

1) Flow meter either inline or in a high flow area in the sump. This can be set to a minimum flow rate.

2) Min and maximium temperature.

3) Sump or tank level sensor

4) Main power

The system would use a prepay phone card so there is no contract and would send you a text if there are any problems.

My step brother has made simular systems for power companies and has estimated the cost to be $800 - $1000.

Is anyone interested in some insurance for their tank?

Lol, I was only researching all of this today.

The most expensive part of the setup is the GSM modem.

The frontend of a microprocessor etc isn't the expensive bit.

There are already some of these sort of things on the market in new zealand, suited more towards farmers, but thats not say we can't use them for our tanks.

Daniel

a better idea is 20 reefers get together, form a group and self insure......$100 p/a each x 20..... disburse any excess unused. :o

Hmm, well that works for the first wipeout - what about the other 19 if something goes wrong ? Or some of the guys on here would not have all their stock covered by a long shot with just $2k.

Cheap considering the controls we sell if you want to use the Software to dial/page/e-mail or SMS you could pay upto $8-10K just for the licence on the software, only ever seem to use them on big sites funnier enough :lol: .

But the cheap option is use an external dialler like above, theres heaps of different ones out there and you dont have to use SMS diallers why not phone line diallers be cheaper initially.

Duke you got any prices on normal phone diallers?

Cheap considering the controls we sell if you want to use the Software to dial/page/e-mail or SMS you could pay upto $8-10K just for the licence on the software, only ever seem to use them on big sites funnier enough

must be feature rich software, you can get free/shareware type packages for $50 :D

A big corperate company software ;), it's cos it's part of our front end software package they have to use ours, complicated to explain but we network our controllers back to the a computer(s) which have our software for user interface so if they want to dail any alarms out they have to purchase a notification licence to do so, and the sites are ussually hospitals airports etc that purchase it, if you know what a building management system (BMS) is then you'l understand.

:D i work in computers everyday. have also setup an alarm companies network and alarm monitoring system so know quite a bit about how it all works.

well as ira has said you can buy an aquarium computer for about that price (neptune is one that comes to mind) still it would be a good little product to sell if you could make a unit small and cheap enough - especially if sold in the states!

I like the idea of setting up a web cam, the disadvantage is you wouldn't get notifications so not really 25/7 monitoring, but the big advantage is being able to watch my tank at work!

Surely it wouldn't be hard to make a power monitor that connects to your PC and get the PC to SMS?

OK, might be a really stupid suggestion but why dont you put a "normal" alarm on your house, with a dailer.

Rig up the sensors (theres the DIY part for you :) )so that if any one of your really important parameters is out it sends a signal to the alarm, the alarm company rings you to say "There is a problem on circuit 4"... you know thats your tank. You go home and check everything.

Usually the phone call is free too.

We do this for our shop alarms to add in monitoring for over temp alarms on chillers etc.

You (should?) get cheaper insurance to!!

True. Ive got the mother of all alarms at home (not hooked up yet) Its actually an alarm system for companies as opposed to homes, but has a few inputs. Has a voice system and dialup to cellphone thingee so might have a read of the manual :D

Ok got some prices for you's on the EDAC dialers.

Dialler

the EDAC 222-02

RRP $340+gst this gives you 2x digital inputs and 2x digital outputs, with 8seconds voice messages that you reacord.

SMS diallers

the EDAC 300-G (vodafone network, purchase of SIM card and aireal is extra)

RRP $770+gst this has 8 universal inputs (10bit analohue or digital) and outputs packed with heaps of functions great little device.

the EDAC 300-C (Telecom network, purchase of an aireal is extra)

RRP $890+gst features are the same as the EDAC 300-G.

Heres there site

http://www.edacelectronics.com/images/products/4493.jpg

Robert

Dialler

the EDAC 222-02

RRP $340+gst this gives you 2x digital inputs and 2x digital outputs, with 8seconds voice messages that you reacord.

SMS diallers

the EDAC 300-G (vodafone network, purchase of SIM card and aireal is extra)

RRP $770+gst this has 8 universal inputs (10bit analohue or digital) and outputs packed with heaps of functions great little device.

the EDAC 300-C (Telecom network, purchase of an aireal is extra)

RRP $890+gst features are the same as the EDAC 300-G.

So how do these detect a power outage or equipment failure?

Pie