Anyone Local that can help?

mat692

I have been getting by on luck so far but my plants have started to look a little sad and I think my luck may soon run out>

Im after a Local guru with all the test gear (all I have is a junior Ph test set) to come around and put me on track. Im in Greerton so anyone close that can help PM me :bow:

Mat, can you get in touch with Papamoa and see if they will do it for you.

I'm sure Frans would be able to test it for you.

Not sure about the other two Tauranga shops as they appear to be newbies, and may not have the necessary testers.

Alan 104

they wont come around and have a look though, just test your water if you take it in. ask to see the tests if you go to animal antics, animates or living waters though, they will just tell you its fine, not give you actual readings.

are your lights ok still, might be causing your plants to get sad, any fertiliser added also?

Just had my water tested by living waters and my nitrates are through the roof 80ppm phosphate 5ppm and ammonia 1ppm and as I already now low PH of 6.2.

Will be ripping out the UG filter which I think is the cause of the high nitrates?

eek, ammonia! nitrates get removed by water changes but ill bet that UG filter will be causing the probs (it is cycled right?) lots of water changes for you my friend :lol: having a ph of 6.2 might be causing probs too (ive read that bacteria have a hard time living at low ph?) not sure on that one though

Almost without fail I have U/G filters in my tanks.

Was it suggested at the shop that you should do that, and maybe buy a replacement cannister filter Matt??

Do more substrate cleaning using the vac/syphon, and of course water changes, about 20% weekly, not total changes tho.

Alan 104

Have been doing a bit of reading on the UGF and decided its not for me even though it used to work well (when my tank was being cleaned out once a month) but since Ive added a few rocks and plants and stopped stripping the tank down completely all the time it dosent seem to be doing the trick. The rocks cause dead spots on the UGF which is meant to house bad bacterias?

The LFS didnt try to sell me anything but did recommend removing it.

Done a complete strip and rearrange (using about 20% of the old water) and will be gettin the water tested in about a week

Matt, is that tank in the garage your only tank??

If so, get some polystyrene and cut it to fit around the outside of your tank tightly, including the top.

Winter will be here soon and you'll need to conserve the heat when your not admiring your workmanship and fish.

Alan 104