Water temp near a fire place

Mooloo

Afternoon all, how close can we put a tank to a fire with out causing problems with the silicon and causing dramatic changes in water temp?. Tank is roughly 1000 litres and will will be well filtered. The space where we are thinking of putting it will place one end about 1 metre from the fire place. The fire place is in a corner facing out like a standard kent fire. All thoughts appreciated.

Hi Mooloo,

I would think u would wanna put your tank a little further away from the Kent Fire than that, 1 mtr really isn't far and I know those Kent Fires can sure fire out the heat.

Maybe wait and see what some other fishy people have to say about it.

Good Luck

Lynda

:o I wouldn't do it, that's for sure. :-?

A meter away from any heat source is bound to create problems. The main issue you'll have is that one side of the tank will get almost direct radiant heat while the rest of the tank will be warming with room temperature. Best to keep tanks as far away from heat sources as possible.

Then again, I have no idea what a "kent fire" is. Scuze my ignorance, I may be completely misguided but Lyndyloo seems to know what they are and they seem to generate tremendous amounts of heat...

It's a free standing wood burner. They are tiled on the sides aren't they so most heat comes out the front? Try putting a thick sheet of polystyrene on the end nearest the fire. Our free standing wood burner didn't bother the tanks beside it.

The fireplace will have little effect on the temperature of the glass or silicone. There is FAR too much water in contact with it for it to warm up more than a fraction of a degree more than the water. The concern would be the heating up of the water and maybe overheating the fish.

I would personally be worried about the rise in temp., then the drop later.

It would be a lot more than is usual and very stressful to the fish.

But if you have the heater just simmering 24/7 as my wife does I wouldn't see too many probs.

Most of the heat from that type of heater is not radiant, but heated, circulating air.

Sucking in from the bottom of the unit rising and around the firebox, then out into the room above the firebox.

The ceiling temperature of the room is a lot higher than the floor temp too,

so unless you have a room circulating fan, there is a large difference between the two.

Try it, and watch you temp rise and the temp in the morning and base your decision on that.

If you have an efficient filtration system your tank temp will be the same throughout due to the filtration circulation.

I would prolly go for it.

Alan 104

One metre is the minimum distance necessary to keep furniture away from a fire. I would also check how hot the stand gets - you don't want that to slowly dry out and then start to burn! You will be able to feel how hot it gets with your hand and decide whether insulation is required.

MCT

• 2 weeks later...