YAY look! My betta eggs are fertile! pics!

Loopy

How can i tell if my boy did the job properly?

i have a beautiful nest and both fish spawned perfectly (from what i can tell) and i have eggs in the nest. but they are white and it has been 24 hours since the spawn. i know that with most fish if the eggs are white they are not fertile or have fungused but are bettas different?

thank you Caryl!

please don't ask me to do it again. it was an utter fluke and i have no idea how i managed to get a photo like that. needless to say, i am pleased as punch about the photo AND the babies!

The babies have hatched now and i am watching them like a hawk. i don't think i was this anxious when i had my own human children!!!

Oh and for any one who is looking for female fighters, there are a bunch at animates moorhouse at the moment! but be quick!

i might post a new thread about that.

I find that the fry thrive one green water ( the grener the betta :lol: )for the first week and then onto newly hatched brine shrimp.

I use New Zealand brine shrimp so am able to start feeding it a bit earlier than imported eggs.

Remember to remove the male as the fry start free swimming and keep the water level at about 75mm deep. Only increase the deepth after the fry start to get a bit larger.

Good luck.

Thanks for those words Alan.

I may be from the old school but the old adage is correct.

"IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT" :bow:

There is more nourishment for the fry in green water than you would realise without a good microscope. :o

And Alan is correct..... You wont get the high mortality rates if you start with the green water. in fact you will have such a high survival rate that I can see the jars of males all aroud your walls, and you wondering , "What the hang am I going to do with this lot"

Trade me is ok but it dont soak up a couple of hundred fry in a hurry. :lol:

I used to drip feed green water with a pilot light day and night for the first couple of weeks, along with brine shrimp as soon as possible. Most people breeding fighters only get a few through to maturity. They do have large spawnings and the massive die off happens in the first few weeks through inadequate feeding and only the tough survive. If you feed them properly you should get hundreds. I found they are like goldfish,and no matter how well you feed you will get different growth rates so you need to keep seperating the larger ones out to give the small ones a chance.

Woops!!

Ummmmmmmmmmm??

That's three in a line of the,

arrrrrr,

older elk that say the same.

Maybe we have been wrong.

All those years of breeding fish down the drain cause we shouldn't have stuck with something that worked.

Have to go out now and feed my baby odessa's on BBS and watch them all die.

Alan 104

HI All.

Alan dont take it on board that bbs is inferior and you are going to kill off the baby Odessa's. :oops:

One has to remember that the fry of "Betta splendens" is the tiniest of fry of ALL the egglaying species. (FACT)

YOU ALSO HAVE TO REMEMBER ANOTHER OLD ADAGE;

Feed your fish food particles NO BIGGER THAN THEIR EYE.

Anybody seen the eye of a newly hatched Betta, without a good magnifying glass?

I have found that they can see microscopic "food" in the green water and just swim around with their mouths open ingesting that food.

I find that "Green Water" given to fry or put into the tank a day or two before hatching works better than anything.Theres food on the table the moment they arrive, so to speak.

Green water for a couple of days and then newly hatched BS. :bow:

It is amazing to me after soooo many years in the hobby, seeing the younger, and the not so young devotees simply NOT KNOWING the basics, or simply IGNORING them.

Oh, how times have changed.

Fortysix years ago we didnt have all the paraphenalia that is available today; Heater/Thermostat Combos, (We had seperate heater and thermostat that you had to really keep an eye on) Frozen ( Maybe you HID a jar of Daphnia in the Freezer) and Freeze Dried Foods, Water Test Kits to name a few.

To rear my first Bettas (and other fry; I was 16) I used green Water out of a puddle at the rubbish dump, Then Hard boiled egg, the yolk squeezed through a handkerchief (much to mum's disgust) Then if the pocket money allowed it was a tube of "LIQUIFRY" for variety. Then a bit later it was off to the Botanical Gardens to catch Daphnia.

Luckily I had the honour of learning from one of New Zealands greats (Bill Sievewright who was a near neighbour)It worked then and it still works..

Everybody has their "best way" of doing things and they will all tell you that "This is how you should do it". Take notice and then think back to "THE BASICS" and combine BOTH METHODS.

If you dont "Know the basics", get some of the EARLY (circa 1960) books from the library. They are all in them. A lot less fish species then as well.

"IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT" :bow:

tru.

Didn't you have heat lamps under your first tanks??

No, neither did I.

But we didn't have plastic bags.

Had to take a bottle with string attached for a handle into Johnny Walkers,

QueenSt., Auck., when getting fish.

Didn't have cellotape or RTV glue either.

Gee todays have got it made really haven't they.

I never say

"This is the way to do it!!"

I say.

"This is how I do it!!"

Alan 104

Hi all

Yep this is the way "WE" do it.

After fortysix years in the hobby I have learnt a lot; Mainly by trial and ERROR away back then but the "way we do it" :bow: still works and I can still turn out a 95% rearing rate with Betta's, Not quite so good with some of the "Newer Dwarf Cichlid species but......75 / 80% still aint bad.

Go the oldies, younger hobbyists read and LEARN. :o:hail: