Check this little beauty

wasp

Recently got this, thought I'd show it off :D

regalangel2.gif

It's a Regal Angel, when I read about them they are reputed as being near impossible to keep alive. But this one was already eating before I got it, and after a few days has settled in and eating heaps.

Doesn't seem aggresive at all, and brightens up the tank :D

Thanks. Don't know what sex it is, something I read said it's pretty much impossible to tell.

Yes I'm looking into sorting some kind of sponge to add to it's diet, not sure how to go about this yet. and pomereef you are correct about the lack of absolutes :lol:

Anyhow yes, I am spending a bit more time looking at the tank since I got it :D

keep an eye out for your red and green LPS, they must be very tasty to some angels! mine ate my red trach within a day and a half. and the green scolymia is recovering in the garage. also likes red brains. :-?

but sofar hasn't picked on any SPS or leathers (maybe xenia but its hard to tell)

yeah regal angels are awesome, if yours is eating already then you're in luck he/she should do well. mine was very shy and got picked on by the blue tang for a while, everytime i went near the tank it would scoot away under the rocks. i actually got mine to eat out of my hands last week.

mines about 3" long. stevea has one, his is quite big already i believe. also i think reef has also got one.

they get up to 10 inches long. i gotta small hardcover book on angels with the regal on the last page saying they are better left in the ocean because there chances of survival in a reef tank are very slim. if you wanna borrow it let me know. had mine almost a year now and its doing fine. i lost half my mushrooms when i first got it. they are growing back now as its getting used to flake and other types of food. it LOVES nori, especially the red type. i can see a couple of massive sponges under my reef rack, maybe thats helping with its diet too :D

heres mine in May of last year

angel-050603.jpg

Thanks. Don't know what sex it is, something I read said it's pretty much impossible to tell.

Yes I'm looking into sorting some kind of sponge to add to it's diet, not sure how to go about this yet. and pomereef you are correct about the lack of absolutes :lol:

Anyhow yes, I am spending a bit more time looking at the tank since I got it :D

The males have a long gill spine and the females have a short gill spine, at least this is the current wisdom. I am not sure if this is apparent in young fish like yours (still with eye spot).

Try some sponge but it may not be interested, mine ignores sponge completely.

The Indo Pacific regals (grey chest) are a lot harder to keep alive than the Red Sea / Indian Ocean variety (orange/yellow chest) and this is suspected to be related to diet. Statistically the grey chested fish have a very poor survival rate whereas the yellow/orange chested ones only have a poor survival rate.

You have got past the hardest short term hurdle in getting it to eat in your tank, but do not be fooled into thinking that as long as it eats a lot all will be OK. If you do not give it an adequate quality diet it will be fat and malnourished at the same time and will likely eventually fall to some disease.

I suggest you read the following thread, it is both sobering and informative. This link is only to the second ½ of the thread (there is a link to the first ½ on the first page). It is a long thread all up but well worth the effort.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=758598

The lad in February 2006. I have had it for 8.5 months.

Regal20060212_1.JPG

It has grown about 1cm since I got it and must be about 11cm now. It was picked on a bit at first but unusually for a Regal this did not bother it much. It has slowly risen in the ranks to be about 3rd in command and only really defers to the Blue Tang (about twice it's size) and sometimes the larger of my two adult Javansese damsels. It does not bother any hard corals (but I only have a few LPS) and only once was seen bothering the clam (I think just picking something off it's shell). It does eat Anthelia, which is the main reason I have a lot of it in my overflow and none in my tank and I am pretty sure would eat zoanthids if I had any. I wouldn't mind it taking out a few mushrooms tho.

Steve

Thanks, great info!

I'll have to read that thread though when I've got a bit more time, tonight. Sounds just what I need though I'll certainly give this fish my very best shot.

It can be done but keep up the food variety.

I feed mine, and consequently now the whole tank:

• Freeze dried shrimp

• Freeze dried krill

• Green nori

• Red nori

• Frozen blood worms

• Frozen mysis shrimp

• Frozen ‘marine green’ mix

• and my own frozen concoction which consists of (varies a little per batch)

o 3 types of unidentified local seaweed

o an unidentified dried seaweed

o baby octopus

o baby squid tubes

o cabbage

o calcium

o dried sea grass

o dried wakame

o fish

o fresh ulva

o mussel

o nori

o scallop

o shrimps

o sponge (a local variety)

o vitamins

I found using a food processor to be very messy, noisy and to produce unsatisfactory results. I now use an old fashioned mincer and it works perfectly.

Steve