Faran

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys just looking

The cheapest i can find freight is $80 AUS to NZ

also on that site i can see where it says only $10.05 for postage and then on another page it said postage is about around $75 for 10kgs

Ill do some more research for you guys

Hey Carol see what they say if you email them about the postage prices to NZ

If i can help you guys at all i will definatly

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

just thought I would add I too own one. Had it for a month now. Brilliant. Absolutely Brilliant. Because of the large media size and sheer water turnover, the tank has never looked cleaner. It is a 450L 4ft tank, and used to run an Atman 104 and Fluval 404.

Now run the FX5, and very happy with the install. Haven't been game enough yet to try straight pumping the water out for water change but that will be next experiment.

I read on this thread someone commenting on its inferior baskets. What this person is referring to is the "holders" of the baskets - a thin piece of plastic which holds the baskets all together. I do agree they are pathetic and plastic - but then, so is everything these days. Plastic rules the world. Anyway, they don't affect operation at all, and in fact you wouldn't have to use them if didn't want to, but it does make it easier to pull the baskets up and look/change media.

Flow - brilliant. So it might be a bit of overkill in my 450l community tank. But so what. Fish love some flow - strengthens them. As long as there are calm spots in your tank so they can rest. But the filters ability to clean the tank, makes it a worthwile investment alright.

• 11 months later...

Hi eben,

Nice tank! From what I've seen of them in the past, there's a decent gap between the wet/dry filter and the light hood. I would use these gaps for running the hoses, which may be unsightly but practical. Otherwise you'll have to wreck the wet/dry filter compartment in order to fit it out of sight.

And yes, it will work considerably better than your wet/dry filter. Less maintentance, as well.

Happy to help.

It's a pity that there's not a replacement hood so you can remove the wet dry from the tank completely...

Then again I think I'm probably just wanting a new toy. This probably wouldn't solve any of the laziness I have towards cleaning the tanks...

• 2 weeks later...

It's an impressive filter. Looking back now I see that I've had it over a year and the one and only hiccup I had was a lid fastener getting stuck the first time I cleaned it. The distributors slightly overreacted as they didn't have spares and replaced the whole thing, which caused some problems with the breaking in period, but one of the most impressive things about my living room show tank is how QUIET it is. Seriously whisper quiet.

As an FX5 owner for over a year I still recommend it highly and have to say that it's the best thought out filter I've had. The recent price drops bring it down to half of the price I paid last year, which makes it even more desirable. You really can't go wrong with this filter or the company that imports/distributes it!

HFF had some for only $380 last time I heard. I'm not sure if that's still going but when I was there at the end of April they didn't seem to have a problem with giving an additional 10% FNZAS discount which brought it down to half of what I paid for mine.... I was a bit gutted and jealous but still proud to be the first kid on the block to have one last year.... my block at least!

So are the lid fasteners poorly made, cheap plastic, or are you guys just too rough?

No the stainless threads on the nut and bolt are crap. I have just changed them for quality parts. Just cut the bolt and get a new bolt and nut from the marine shop. Hollywoods have replaced 2 (rrp of $14) but i cant be bothered ringing them again as its a hassle