Heater cautionary tale....

CraigMcN

Stupid Monkey did stupid thing...

Was testing a tank heater in the laundry tub... After a few hours satisfied it worked, I pulled it out of the tub, checked it was cool, put it on top of the washing machine,and pulled the plug out of the wall... Wandered out for a while came home to a smell of burning... Pulled the wrong damn plug out of the wall, and the heater had melted a 10 inch long hole in the lid of my damn washing machine :(

As a testament to the heater, it still works fine once I scraped all the melted plastic of it. Wish I could say the same for the washing machine!

C.

Well Well Well, silly monkey, :oops: :oops:

Just tell me something, you say you checked that the heater was cool, then unplugged it, aren't you meant to unplug it, leave it for awhile to cool in the water, before taking it out of the water, and why was the heater cool, if it was still plugged in?

Confusing Stuff. :roll: :roll:

By the way, really sorry to hear about the washing machine lid. :oops: :oops:

Lynda

hahahha had a similar incident once where my flatmate took the heater out of his tank to clean it, he didn't realise he unplugged the wrong plug and threw it back in the clean tank, it 'blew up' on contact with the water. Then...you'd think he'd really make sure he unplugged it, however I went back in there shortly after and could smell burning, the broken heater was catching the towel on fire he had it sitting on ... :roll: man my flatties are stupid

Lindyloo : the heater was cool in the water, light was off as the thermostat had kicked in (which was what I was checking for). The glass felt "water temperature" when I pulled it out. I guess it took a few minutes for the thermostat to kick back on and started the melting and the burning and the smoke and the rest of the fun. A 300W heater throws out a huge amount of heat when there's no water around it :)

C.

Hi

Throw heaters away, install 124 tanks like us and just heat room..

One breeder in ak got to many sparks in b --m and went to boot hill

Cheers Phill :P

More fish from Peru tomorrow..So get buying so imports can continue..

Trade Me is doing all the buying..Not to many of fnzas members.. :cry: