Amazon sword plantlings

Ktttk

I have an amazon sword (can someone help me identify it?) that I have left in a bucket outside for a year or so now and over the summer, it has grown a stalk of flowers and small plants are appearing on it. Do i have to wait till i see roots coming out before I can remove the baby plant? Does the baby plant need to be submerged for roots to develop?

Here is a pic of the plant in a bucket.

DSC01625.jpg

And here are a couple of close ups of the baby plants.

DSC01626.jpg

DSC01627.jpg

Without seeing the pictures here's the general answer for pup plants (the little ones that grow on the stalks). Keep stalks submerged as beast as you can. When emerged from the water you'll end up with flowering followed by plantlets. If submerged you'll end up with all plantlets. Keep plantlets submerged and remove when you have a good amount of root growth and three or four leaves. Plant as you wish or sell on!

Without seeing the pictures here's the general answer for pup plants (the little ones that grow on the stalks). Keep stalks submerged as beast as you can. When emerged from the water you'll end up with flowering followed by plantlets. If submerged you'll end up with all plantlets. Keep plantlets submerged and remove when you have a good amount of root growth and three or four leaves. Plant as you wish or sell on!

so if i want it to develop some roots, i need to submerge all the little plants on the stalk?

Hey, pretty pictures.... hard to tell what KIND of amazon it is, but it's definitely an Echinodorus (Amazon Sword).

You can try cutting the plantlets off the stalk and submerging them to grow roots on their own, but I strongly recommend setting up another bucket and bending the stalk into it so they can get nutrients from the parent plant while doing this.

Here's a picture of my sword tank.... you can see the pup plants in various states of growth.... note the lack of flowers - they only appear when the stalk is emerged.

c3d144a9.jpg

P.S. - the white blobs are snails.... still working on getting some clown loaches to get rid of them!

Remember that most plants look different grown out of water than under water. Unless you have a picture of the plant grown out of water it will be difficult to identify unless it looks the same in or out of water... It does look a bit like cordifolius.

I have not noticed any seeds on the flowering stalks.

I have to wait till the roots develop before i plan to do anything with the small plants. They were left outside in the bucket when our 4 foot tank cracked. Its been outside in the bucket for over a year now.