Eels

0pius

They do get pretty big, however obviously different species differ in size. There is no way I would have one in my tank but was curious as to why they aren't available in the hobby, whereas in Australia and America it is uncommon for fowlr owners like myself to not have one.

Eels. First off they require a 'special' aquairum, in that they often escape, so it needs tight fitting lids with no holes. No many of us have, or would have a setup like that.

The NZ species of Moray (of which there are 5) all grow far to large for a normal modest Aqairum. Also they are temprate, not tropical, which means chillers. Expensive kit that is rare outside of the reef-keepers and their never ending bags of money.

Another factor is the Morays in NZ are found in 2 places, The Poor Knights and the Kermadecs. Both of these places are marine reserves and everything in them is protected.

I'd love to keep an eel myself, but the hastle of having tight fitting lids makes it all but impossibe.

Check out pics of the Red Dragon Headed eel from Hawaii. Its one of the most awesome looking animals in the ocean. They sell for well over 1k USD.

Pie

:shivers: when I was in the South Pacific I was free swimming with a mask when a 5 foot green Moray came charging at me out of the reef.

:bounce: :bounce: I pretty much ran across the water back to shore screaming the whole way. :bounce: :bounce:

This drew a crowd and I was soon settled down and explained that his name was "Wally" and he was a tourist attraction at the local Big Tourist Resort. Later on I even fed this amazing creature but was warned over and over again to never trust him as he could take off a finger (or even a hand) without a thought.

Would love to have a snowflake moray in a tank some day though!

I've come face to face with a moray eel before.

When I was scuba diving off Motiti Island in the BOP.

It was very large (even without goggles magnification) and I'm guessing it was an oldie. It just sat half in and half out of its cave, swaying in the current, watching me. Its mouth was big enough to remove a hand.

The half you could see was almost as long as my arm.

It was awesome to hang mid water, face to face with this creature.

You actually find morays are distributed more widely than poor knights and kermadecs. They do require a good habitat in order to be happy otherwise they will try to escape. We have a few yellow mottled morays at work in a 500l tank it has no top on it but they are happy and are feed everyday. Really cool animal and are placid never known a diver to ever be bitten by one. Pretty ugly though only a mother could love them.

One of the shops here in Anchorage had a small Snowflake Moray, I don't remember the exact price, but it was somewhere around $75 NZ!

Echidna-nebulosa.jpg

Got a pic of this stunning looking fish, I don't know what exactly it was. Looked sorta like a little black batfish with really high top and bottom with a ring of orange all around its body.

Man, so many cool animals, I never appreciated it when I lived here.:(

IRA are you on holiday?

And yes that would be juv bat fish. The grow MEGA fast and don't look as nice when larger but are cool in big shoals (you would need a 1 brazillian litre tank though).

Pieman

Yup. I'll be home March 3rd. I'm pretty disappointed with equipment here though, not much more than pumps and filters. Picked up 300 grams of strontium powder for $12nz though.:)