Discus fry dilemma

freshwest

I have a pair of discus that spawned a few days ago, which was great. The problem is they have spawned in a tank with 3 adult discus.

The fry became free swimming this morning. The obvious problem is their chance of survival in that tank is going to be marginal at best. Any ideas?

There best chance I can see is to get them out of there and into a small tank. Has anyone removed fry this young from their parents with success. It seems a real shame to take them out as the parents are doing a great job.

Ive never had nor bred discus but I have heard that artificially raising fry is very hard to do and labour intensive what what I read they really need the food from their parents.. Maybe as previously suggested move the other adults.. Or attempt to move both parents and fry into a smaller tank with 100% water from the other tank I guess?

I had exactly the same situation a few weeks ago, a pair +3 other adults and also one smaller one, i had to go to work (stupid work!) on the day they went free swimming and when i got back they were all gone. I'd definitely move the fry first to a seperate tank, then move the parents, they will sort the rest out for you.

The problem I see with trying to remove the other fish is that with all the disturbance that would be involved with doing that the fry would get eaten. Even trying to siphon out the fry will be a challenge.

I guess the big question is how many days do they need to feed off the parents before they can go it alone.

Another easy one to solve.

Divide the tank.

Use a piece of glass that is aboult 2mm narrower than the width of tank.

Split a hose(garden) lengthwise, and cut two pieces the length of the divider. and slip one over each side of the divider.

This makes a hose to glass contact that is fry proof.

Gently place into tank at a slight angle then straighten up to form the barrier, push down into the gravel.

OK??

Alan 104

ps. goodluck

Al

Set up your small tank using water from your com tank. Siphon the fry into a bucket. Net the parents and put them in the small tank. Put the fry into the small tank last and keep your finger cross. You need a heater and an airstone in the tank. Don't worry about the filter for the time being but change daily small wc.

Ron

Mum dad and the 50 + kids doing well :D

Some good thoughts posted. Thanks everyone

I feel if I try to move any of the adults it will end in tears. The tank is planted and has a piece of driftwood running the length of the tank which would make catching them difficult. If they were in a b/tank I would go for the divider. These fish have always been quite timid as well making catching them even harder.

Any way the plan from here will be to keep activity around the tank to a minimum. I am also leaving a low wattage light on during the night so the parents can see what going on. And hopefully in ten days time remove the young. I have read Asian breeder remove the young 7 to 10 days after the fry become free swimming.

At what age do people out there remove the fry from their parents?

Congrats Freshwest that is awesome! What kind of discus are they? Any pics?

The fry will start taking newly hatched brine shrimp on day 7 of free swimming (day1 = first day free swimming) so you might want to hold off on the bbs for a few more days.

Most people I would say leave the fry with the parents for a good few weeks, but given your predicament I think moving them early as suggested is a good idea! Why don't you catch the fry after 10 days, then catch the parents, put the parents in a seperate tank then put the fry in with them? Just a thought. Good to have the night light on too.

Jammos most people use a 29 gal tank (120L), which is usually 3 foot long. But some use between 20G and 60G. If using a bigger tank you may need to drop the water level right down so the fry can find the parents when free swimming.

Mum dad and the kids still going well :D

Their parental care is truly amazing. I was a bit worried this morning when feeding as the male had the fry on his side and the female was waiting in the area I feed them. I was sure that when I started feeding he would leave the fry or worse bring them to the feeding area. But he stayed down in their territory and waited for the female to come back and take the fry before coming down for a feed. I even dropped a bit of food down his end of the tank, which he didn’t touch until the female had the fry.

Still going well. May have lost a few, there hard to count.

The fry are now eating b/shrimp and growing fast.

I would have taken them out this week but have decided to leave them with the parents until Monday as I am going away for the weekend. I have a non-fishy friend coming around to feed them. I must say Im a bit worried. Explaining how to hatch and feed B/shrimp is going to be interesting. Fingers X

• 2 weeks later...

The babies are now safe and well in there own tank. I ended up with only 27. Oh well better than nothing.

The dilemma continues 2 of the other discus in that tank decided to do the wild thing on Sunday night and they now have about 20 wigglers clustered on the side of the tank. It is the first time they have spawned, in fact they showed no typical signs of being a pair. So I am amazed they have done so well. This spawn is a blue snakeskin X blue diamond.