A few questions

SilverBlade86

Hi there, I've recently decided to try my hand at rearing a few fishes in NZ. I just have a few questions:

I will be having just a few fish, most probably White Cloud Mountain Minnows. I do not plan on having a big tank, just big enough for maybe 10+ ish. Will I need an air pump? Would the Java Moss I put in there generate enough oxygen for them to survive on?

And if I were to do water changes maybe once a couple of days, do I still need to use a filtering system?

Thanks for your time.

Hello and welcome to the forums! White Clouds (henceforth will be referred to as WCMM) are an excellent starter fish and are easy as to spawn. The tank will not need to be heated and a healthy clump of java moss will be perfect for them. While an air-pump isn't necessary if you stock the tank correctly (1 inch of fish per gallon) you will most probably need to provide some kind of filtration for them to avoid a dangerous build-up of fish waste. While this can be replaced by frequent water changes, the "cycle" is an integral part of aquaria and the bacteria that turns ammonia->nitrite->nitrate will have to grow and develop to ensure that your fish and fry don't perish. I recommend a simple corner filter or sponge filter. Each of these are run by an air pump.

Once again, welcome and feel free to ask questions. We're glad to help!

Thanks. :P

I have to admit, breeding fish in NZ is quite the challange. Back home, all I had to do was get some fish, throw them into some water and let them do their stuff.

I actually wanted to breed guppies, but the prices here are OUTRAGEOUS. Buying a single guppy here would have bought me at least 10+ (and maybe a few extras from the shop keeper. Most LFS owners like to give extras if you buy alot).

Alright then, it would seem I need a filter. What about Java Moss? Do those grow alot? I've read some where that putting them in sunlight would result in a huge growth. Any comments on that?

Edit - Updated my profile a bit. Didnt know people actually used it. :wink:

You wouldn't beleive the growth that java moss has in the sun. If you have plenty of light on your tank, it will do the same but it seems that WCMM prefer a bit of shade for spawning.

As for guppies, all you need is that initial investment! I would take a look on TradeMe for some nice local guppy breeders. Should cost you only a $ or 2 each. Look at the tanks they come from for wasted females or males with droopy tails. Signs of the dreaded "guppy disease", which may or may not be related to inbreeding.

So where's "back home"?

By the way, with WCMMs all you have to do is chuck them in a half-barrel or a large terra cotta pot and they should be breeding soon enough....

Back home was Malaysia. The fish you see at pet shops for $7.50 was fish I could catch in drains back home. Sure they weren't pretty and it wasnt really hygenic ... but it was still guppies. 8)

The second reason I forgot to include was that I didnt want to have a heat unit. It may be just me but I just cant picture fish needing heaters. Cant they wear sweaters or something?

On a side note, my dad was also thinking of maybe making a pond outside the back yard. (by pond, maybe just a barrel or some sort) Do we still need filtering for it as well?

Nah, ponds (even half barrels) sustain a stable environment naturally, and nature provides for its own water changes with rainfall, so no filtration NEEDED. I have a filter unit running on my waterfall just because it keeps the water cleaner, etc.

LOL about the guppies with sweaters, btw :)

Actually, sweaters are a good idea.

They would have to be knitted in red and black hoops down there.

But I think the biggest problem would be finding a fish-knitter around.

They seem to be a dieing breed

By the way, welcome to the FNZAS Forum.

Alan 104

Thanks guys.

Alright then, I think I have a rough idea on what to do. I'll just get a few to test out and see how it goes. Any extra born will be thrown out into the back.

I'm just worried about ducks though. Will they come and hunt my fish? Back home, we would be worried about lizards. Damned things would use their tails to flick my guppies out of the tank.

Hi :P

Cant they wear sweaters or something

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Darn, I haven't been in this hobby long and yet I never thought of that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome...you will no doubt, as most people do, find this site fantastic :bounce: :bounce:

Have you been into the hobby long?

Take care & have fun,

Caper

I've been thinking of just getting maybe 3 - 4 WCMMs, and any fry will be tossed into a barrel outside. Think this would do as a mating tank?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 739782.htm

Will probably have a small piece of driftwood and some Java Moss in it, with an air pump/filter in it. The tank seems a bit small for my liking, but its the best I could find in the past week or so. What do you think about it?

That tank would be fine for a couple of WCMM's to breed in. I used to have them in a 3 foot and pretty soon the 5 I started off with turned into alot more. They used to lay in the morning usually when the sun hit the tank.. I had a heap of java moss in there and didn't use a filter just an airstone and I did weekly water changes and they were fine, do you plan to put the fish in and remove the parents after they have spawned or leave the parents in? I just left the parents in and used to get pretty good amounts of fry but im sure if I pulled them out I would have got more..

Well, what I actually wanted was to put the parents in my bedroom and keep them for show/breeding. I will remove the fry into a seperate tank for feeding, and once they are big enough, I will throw them outside into a wine barrel or something and let them do whatever they like. But I will keep the original couple in that tank though.