HELP!!! URGENT!!!Aiptasia (pest/glass) anemones

vivekv

I have a problem with Aiptasia( class/pest) anemones. they are abudant in our tank. How do you get rid of them we have slitting rocks just to get rid of them and they come to live by our corals and irritate them very annoying to the corals.. they arent happy(the affected ones). is there a way to get rid of them, eg any formula that is reef safe also if try to pull it of a rock or in the gravel it will just hide9 go into rock/gravel.) HELP!!!

Ha, you don't want to add sodium metal to your tank, it might scare the fish as it bursts into flame wizzing across the surface of the water.

Sodium hydroxide is what I use. Mixed with a little water into a syringe and into the aiptasia. Don't get the mixture on your skin, if you do, wash with PLENTY of cold water.

And like Ira said, make sure you're reasonably accurate. You also only need a small amount to kill. I use around 0.1mL per aiptasia.

Layton

• 8 months later...

joe juice good stuff.Sodium Hydroxide ... scary stuff, killed some coral with this stuff little bubbles servived and contacted my coral when starting the main pump say goodbye coral.

>>>>( sodium hydroxide to be a lot more effective but you have to be FAR MORE careful because it nukes anything and everything it touches)

Not worth the risk... I have some ... welcome to get it... Joes Juice even if you have to use it three time to kill the pest. And some times you have too. Not a miricle cure.

Sodium Hydroxide ... like a small nuke...

You must have used WAY too much. You only need a little, the little white blobs you get after using it are just precipitated calcium, I think. Not Sodium hydroxide and are relatively harmless from what I've seen. Certainly didn't hurt any of my corals. And all the sodium should dissolve in a minute or two if you don't use too much.