Breeding A.australe

alanmin4304

I have some chocolate and some gold australe about half grown from eggs kindly given to me by a member of NZKA I have seperated males and females and will grow them up a bit more before breeding them. I am keen on any input on how people breed them and store the eggs so that I can increase my chances of having some success. Some questions:

Do you spawn them on mops or peat or both?

Do you store the eggs in water or peat, and at what temperature?

How long do you store them?

Is there any way to increase the ratio of males?

Many thanks. THEY ARE VERY NICE LOOKING TEENAGERS

Hi Alan,

they breed well in mops, take 10-14 days to hatch (you will see the fertile ones going dark and see their body and their eyes rolled up in a ball). I use 2 drops of well diluted methylene blue to prevent fungus. I keep the eggs in a chinese takeaway plastic container. You have to use the right plastic though otherwise it can destroy the eggs, e.g I've tried those large yoghurt containers but the eggs disentegrated each time.

Not sure of any methods of how to increase your ratio of males/females if any.

Store them in water. Room temperature is fine but hatching will take longer depending on temp. My first batch I put them in the top of the hot water cylinder and they hatched in 10 days. Mine are chocolate australe.

HTH

srry alan just got ur pm.

Do not spawn on mops i find it useless and gives way less numbers.I spawn mine in peat 4 7 days and then squeeze the peat till damp and store for 14 days.I hav hatched some aswell at 6 weeks and were fine.Store at 24-28 for me but could go at 21-23 i get even sex ratios maybe a slightly more males.

kyle

Sounds like the boys covered it pretty well there Al.

One is the old hobbyists way, time consuming but really getting into the hobby.

The other a system used by Bryan Jomes of Auck. when he was inro commercial breeding.

I think he improved his M/F ratio by feeding the females to his other fish.

He used to supply HFF in Mt Roskil, plus his mates in the NZKA if they bothered to ask him about them.

Also fish clubs that made visite to his establishment in Auck.

He used rainwater, in a drum, that had a bag of peat sitting in it as his breeding water fo his tanks.

Alan 104

Hi, I have had some really good sucess by seperating females from the males for a week or two. During that time I pump the females full of brine shrimp everyday untill they look like a balloon. If you put about an inch of peat on the bottom of a small tank or bucket as well as a breeding container ( hole in top with peat ) that covers all corners. The female will soon lay all her eggs within a 24hr period and then you can put in the next female and so on and so on...... DONT FEED THEM WHILST YOU HAVE THEM IN THE SPAWING TANK AS THIS CAN SOMETIMES POLUTE THE WATER AND PEAT WHILST INCUBATING.After a week or two, syphon out the peat and give it a gentle squeeze in a net and then let it dry slightly on newspaper for an hour or two. Divide the peat up into 4 bags and then try and store at different temps. After 14-15 days just dump the peat into a shallow container of tank water and blow me down you will be a dad many times during the following 1-5 days.

If feed my new fry liquifry for the first 2-3days and then start with the brine shrimp. If you are a NZKA member then you can pick up a tin of bbs at a good price at present.

Well thats my 2c worth for now...got to feed myself :D

Id love to stop in sometime and see your Killies.

Cheers

AQUANUT

AQUANUT, that Al lives in Chch and is an NZKA member.

The reason the peat is stored at different temps is for you to figure out what temp produces what genders.

for your different requirements.

When you find out, write it down in your diary,

you haven't got one??

Get one then, the written word lasts longer and doesn't change from the remembered word. (Ol' Chinese Proverb)

Alan 104

Interisting that you say u leave ur females only for 24hrs>i leave mine for a week with two females and 2 males and feed and main hatches get 50++>I have approx 120 choc australe in my ppond :D .My golds are the same except not as prolific maybe 20 per weak spawn.Btw remember choc australe com from very low oxygen level water so no oxygem pumped in water increases egg yield.

kyle

http://www.killi.co.uk/SpeciesDetails.php?ID=12

I have pointed out this site somewhere else in this section before but this one is for this fish. If you click on the "Read the full reports here" right under the temp you will see what temp others have had theirs at and what Male to Female ratio they have ended up with and how they spawned them and cared for the eggs. Has many different views and I am sure you will be able to pick one to follow :D

Thats about all I can help with

Cheers

PeneJane