Frustrating danios

Ira

I had my female danio in a little tank conditioning her for a week with whiteworms and all kinds of frozen food, then I put the male in and in about 5 days the bottom was covered with eggs. I had it covered with bunches of pebbles to keep the eggs from getting eaten. Then I take the parents out and wait for the eggs to hatch...And wait...And they all fungused! Looks like none of the eggs hatched! There must have been 50-60 eggs at least and NONE of them hatched.

Guess I'll have to be happy with the 6 remaining from the last try.:( Anyone got any ideas what might help with fertilization next try? It's in a little 10 liter tank, I know that's pretty small but the only bigger thing I have available is a 20 liter. Would that have caused a problem? Filtration is a little heater/filter combo.

How fertile is the male? Have you ever got better results? I once had approx 90 fungused eggs out of approx 180 and I bet the parents were brother and sister as probably 80+% of the fry were at least a little deformed. Are the parents closely related? If your serious about breeding them use good parent stock or you'll regret it later on when the fry are all rubbish :(

What temp are you operating at? 5 days seems like a while to hatch. Some didn't hatch and get eaten by the adults before you noticed that they had hatched? Does any food accumulate in the peebles for the fungus to initially grow on?

When I used marbles I removed them straight after the spawning and spent far too much time trying to syphon out any remaining food.

Personally I think some kind of breeding net is better than using peebles/marbles, see some of Pegasus's posts for some ideas.

Hope somone can solve your prob :)

Kriber

Hi Ira,

You would get a better result with three males to one female.

Keep seperate till she's good and fat, then put them together.

Not keen on the pebbles or marbles idea, as too much hassle to remove the eggs or keep clean. :)

Unfortunately, Pegasus, I only have one male and one female. I used to have 3 males and one female, but two of the males decided to go on a walkabout when I was in Christchurch a few months ago. Never found a body or anything. I have had a hell of a time finding some kind of netting to make a breeder net out of, I found some stiff cotton mesh stuff but that made the water foamy. So, I tried the pebbles because that's what I had. This is the second try getting them to breed in the little tank, first try had no results that I could find. The successful breeding was in a 100L bare bottom tank sometime over a couple weeks while I was trying to find some kind of mesh to protect the eggs.

Oh, temp is 26° and I assume the parents ARE related because I bought them at an auction.

Hi Ira,

Having only one male will just give you less fertilized eggs, but you should still get some out of it.

I have had a hell of a time finding some kind of netting to make a breeder net out of,

Nip to the local curtain shop and grab an offcut of nylon net curtain with 2 or 3mm holes... it'll cost you a couple o bucks. Get the plain mest type without a pattern... it's quite common so you'll have no probs. Rinse it well before use.

Drape it in the tank and secure it with clothes pegs so that it is 2 or three inch off the bottom (75mm).... nothing flash... just drape it in there.

Set them up to spawn when ready and the eggs will drop though to the tank botton. (bare tank) Just keep the base clean and the fry should hatch in a couple of days or so.

Same applies for Barbs.. Danios.. and many of the egg scatterers.

Related pairs "will" spawn, but introduce fresh stock later to avoid runts etc. HTH :)

Haven't tried them again yet. I've got the 6 month old fry I'm considering throwing into the community tank, they seem big enough they won't be eaten and then I'll condition the female in the 100L tank the fry are in for a week or so. I picked up some windbreak material at the garden center, it looks about the size holes and was cheap. I looked at it before and didn't really consider it because I had in mind a stiffer material. I'm going to pick up some anti fungal stuff too. The cory eggs seemed to all fungus too, so I'm wondering if a light dose might save a few eggs. Maybe I have really fungusy water?:)

• 2 weeks later...

Spawning's gone great, no eggs and the female croaked. She wasn't looking too healthy after the last try, so maybe the extra stress was too much for her. It's the same tank and mostly the same water the fry were in and the male is fine so I don't think it was the water conditions that killed her.

How long does it take for danio fry to be old enough to breed?