killer in the tank

monaro1

i have a mystry killer in my community tank

2 days ago i found my midas dead with no fins left

yesterday i found my flowerhorn dead with no fins left

the problem i have is that i dont know who, there is no other fish with any damage and thay have lived togerther for some time now

tank mates ;

red head

severum x 3 (1 X GREEN 2 x gold)

2 x chocolates

2 x nics

2 x jack dempsy

2 x banded laproscomis

1 x pleco

all large fish

the midas and the flowerhorn were both a good size around 250mm.both of these fish should be able to hold there own.or at least last a night but fine when i go to bed and dead when i wake up

I would suspect a 'what' rather than a 'who'. I think the damage seen may have been done after they died. Any chance of looking at guts and stuff under a microscope?

Was there body damage as well? I would assume if they had been attacked by another fish they would show more damage rather than just missing fins.

a few scales missing as well but no big pieces missing

water is fine ph 7.6/ ammonia 0/nitrite 0/nitrate 5.0

all other fish are doing well

nics are breading at the moment but are not big enough to do damage to them as thay are the smallest in the tank by a long shot

have a thought that thay did the damage to each other and it took a day to kill the flowerhorn

or the redhead is the biggest and wanted more room :evil:

wok; my wife would leave the tails and take the rest,still i did look at her :wink:

I'd say could be a couple of health problems in there.

Have a look at this site

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/fins.html

If you are sure your water is fine, temp, oxygen levels....

Then i'd be looking at fish like the banded laproscomis, these guys can be a problem in a tank.

Red heads, Jacks can be agro buggers, to eat only fins :-?

If the parrots are breeding then they could inflict some damage.

But for a midas or a flowerhorn at there sizes, and get damaged, I'd say they had a problem health wise first.

Frenchy :D

breading on there mind. that is a problem there is always breading in that tank.thay are all pairs

alan, the nics cane from hollywoods

am starting up a few more tanks to sort this out. this is not going to make the wife happy

would two fish of different types get health problems at the same time and die within 24hrs of each other and the rest of the tank be fine?

thanks for the thoughts