Water jacketed aquariums

alanmin4304

I am thinking of building a six chamber aquarium surrounded by a water jacket heated by one element. Has anyone tried this or is there a way to say heat them from underneath? I am trying to avoid having an element in each tank, because they will be relatively small, and used for breeding killies.

Yeah Alan, we have used undertank heating DIY type for a while now.

If you find the potos that Caryl took of the Napier Fish Show, you will see the NZKA stand, all of which is cable heated.

I have used cable from an old electric blanket wired into a thermostat and embedded into a pinex base then covered in vinyl.

The tanks do have to have a similar volume to each other tho, and the thermostat is placed in one tank, so now you see the necessity for the volumes to be the same..

Caryl's hubby, Grant, I think may have a drawing of what I'm on about.

Alan

NZKA 104

I have an article on how to build your own and the maths required to work out length of wire, ohms etc. Will hunt it out but be aware, if you do not have good electrical knowledge this is not something you want to attempt as it would be easy to miscalculate and burn down your house! Insurance wouldn't pay out either.

Well a home brew pad is designed to keep a 25L barrel at around 25C I think, however since they are square you could get a few of them in depending on the size of the tank.

I managed to get two for $4, but I think that was luck!

Just running the idea past you, wouldnt have a clue if its practical :D

Dont know if this is any help but a while ago I sent an email to the people at "Nu Klear" - the mirror demister people.

http://www.nuklearproducts.co.nz/

Check out this page.

http://www.nuklearproducts.co.nz/pages/horticulture/index.html

Horticultural Ag Pad

Available Options

The Ag pad comes in strips 550mm wide and can be made to any length up to 9 metres in size.

Dont quote me (and i cant find the correspondance) but I seem to recall that the product they sell puts out about 80W per meter....

I ran the idea of under tank heating past them and I was told it should be OK.

Anyway... just a thought...