Baby goldfish basking in the sun

Caryl

Early2003 we dug a bath into the ground outside and filled it with water. When we set up the African tank, we cycled it using 4 goldfish around 8cm each. When the tank had cycled, we added the thermostat and threw the goldfish out into the pond (it was April and the outside water temperature was the same as that of the tank inside) where they have been ever since. They have lots of oxygen weed, green water and insects dropping in. We have never fed them. At the height of last summer we found 1 dead and suspected lack of oxygen but the others were OK.

Yesterday I looked outside to see quite a few good sized fry basking at the surface! Guess I'd better look into getting the main pond built - we have been talking about it for about 20 years now :lol:

8babies.jpg

9fry.jpg

and this is part of mum by the looks of it...

mumfish.jpg

Yes, I definitely think this is a sign that you need a pond, Caryl!

A bath outside is a great idea for a pond. I would love one but I still look after toddlers here at home once a week. Toddlers and water - too scary!

How deep is your bath? Do you have trouble with it icing over in winter?

MCT (dreaming of having her own big pond one day)

It is legal plant (came out of the waterway that runs through the middle of the town).

The bath is 300mm deep. Over 450mm and it requires fencing according to local bylaws.

It ices over in winter but this is Marlborough so it only gets about 5mm at its thickest and thaws out quickly as the bath gets full sun most of the day.

We are planning to landscape the whole front yard at long last and the planned pond will be about 5 x 7m. I will, of course, be taking photos of the whole procedure and doing an article in the Aquarium World 8)

Your plant is not legal and your pool does not need a fence because it is not intended for paddling, wading or swimming, but do have a good day.

If you're going to make claims like that (and I have no idea whether it's true or not), substantiating it would be a whole lot more useful than wishing her a good day.

Just my thoughts anyway :roll:

Your council will have their own regulations regarding pool fencing alanmin4304, they may differ from ours. It varies from council to council.

Since the weed was neither bought, nor sold, it is legal. It came from the middle of the council's park :wink: . Our local waterways are all choked with it.

The bath is 300mm deep. Over 450mm and it requires fencing according to local bylaws.

Don't wanna get caught up in the legal debate, just showing that the rules are the same for Caryls council as well.

Caryl - congrats on the surprise grandkids! I spent a few hours touring my first goldfish farm today (jaykoy from TradeMe). Very interesting experience and I started to appreciate how interesting our coldwater friends can be...