parrot cichlids.

jinx

I keep a few myself and also sell them in my shop. They get very big- I've got two that are about dinner plate size. Because they can't actually shut their mouths they can't really nip fins etc. but they will lip lock with each other and can cause a bit of damage. As far as smaller fish are concerned they are good with them until they either grow big enough to fit them in their mouths or go into spawning (at which point their obsesive guarding etc. can cause problems)

had tank about 2.5 years, about60 gallons built into a wall so you get a view both sides.

fish i have is 2 parrot fish, 2 clown loach, 2 bolivian rams, 6 angels, 1 plecy, 1 kuhli loach, 1 red tail shark, 1 silver shark, 2 orange tail loaches 10 headlights, 5 other fish forgot the names.and 1 apple snail, only lost about 3 fish in the last year.

[ This Message was edited by: jinx on 2002-04-04 06:06 ]

I am sorry for those people who I am going to offend, but parrot fish are one of those cross breeds that should never have been allowed, they are ugly, also there seems to be a number of balloon fishes on the market, mollies, kissing gouramis, to name a couple, these are the sort of fish that should not be allowed into our country. We should be keeping the strains of fish as near to original as possible, you only have to look at the angel fish to see what has happened to them in about 40 years.

Parrotfish are man-made but why are you mentioning 'balloon fishes' and what are they (apart from mollies and kissing gouramis)? What is wrong with mollies and kissing gouramis? What did angels have 40 years ago that they don't have now? Some of us are not old enough to have been able to see fishes 40 years ago. :D You have got me curious Squid!

ok Caryl I just know you must have had a big grin on your face when you were writing that reply, and before I answer this one, have you seen Balloon Mollies or Balloon Kissing Gouramis? I know you have seen Parrotfish, Oh yes I might as well put these other poor little fish in here also, The little Indian Glass fish which are injected with a fleuro paint, I have also seen Albino Black Widows with a squirt of paint in their systems.Let me know if you have seen these fish and what you think of them.

Squid.

ok Caryl I just know you must have had a big grin on your face when you were writing that reply, and before I answer this one, have you seen Balloon Mollies or Balloon Kissing Gouramis? I know you have seen Parrotfish, Oh yes I might as well put these other poor little fish in here also, The little Indian Glass fish which are injected with a fleuro paint, I have also seen Albino Black Widows with a squirt of paint in their systems.Let me know if you have seen these fish and what you think of them.

Squid.

I have never heard of balloon mollies or balloon gouramis, nor seen any. I certainly know about the poor glass fish being injected with dye and hope that stupid idea has had its day as I have not seen any for a long time. I am now picturing mollies and gouramis being filled with air so they look like puffers! What are they?

ok somewhere about the time the parrot fish rolled off the assembly line, there were some Balloon fishes arrived on the scene as well,and you are right Caryl they were like a balloon full of air, theMollies had about three times the circumferance of a normal mollie, there was nothing nice about them, the Kissing Gouramis were only about half the normal length with a grossly swolen stomach, and like the parrotfish and the Mollie there was nothing nice about the Gourami either, Surely someone else must remember these fish?

I disagree with you, Pegasus. Please allow this and similar discussions to continue. No fish keeper in their right minds would want to damage fish in any way, especially such as the parrot fish and balloon fish mentioned by Squid.

I knew about the parrot fish, but had not come across the balloon fish. I was interested to see Squid's reply.

How are we going to know about these fish and their unfortunate backgrounds if these discussions are stopped? It's a good warning for all of us to be on the lookout for these and to not support their importation in any way. If we purchase them through ignorance, we support the suppliers of them and encourage more of this distateful bizarre business.

Please encourage these discussions for the benefit of all (and the fish).

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

Just stepped in and saw you all bashing each other about the parot fish is this the blood parot cichlid? If it is like I think I have 3 and I'm sorry if it offends anyone I didn't know when I bought them I didn't have the internet. But I can't really kill them so I just treat them like a "real" fish. The things can get very teritorial like a cichlid like it's name says. & if people own them they should know how to take care of them. Plus I did see the ugly@$$ balloon mollies that should never have happened. I never saw the balloon guramies though , but , I bet they are just as ugly. Anyway I'm not here to ruffle anyone's feathers, (oh yeah this is the wrong room for that bad pun :roll: )