Wiring Lighting

livebearer_breeder

Very carefully???

But seriously, lights don't have earths???

AFAIK (an amateur electrician/muck about person) There are only two main wires that must be connected to the light and it does not matter which way around they go. (AC power of course) These will be attached to the ends of the fluro.

The earth should be attached (if at all) to the metal casing that you are putting the light into. (don't mix this up....) This is usually a green wire, but god only knows at times.

Try testing the final product at a distance on a power point that has a circuit breaker.

Of course fluros may be special...but I don't think so.

If you are unsure and mind getting electricuted, take it to someone who knows.

Now all you need is new tubes.

As alanmin says, those looked stuffed.

Fluros DO have earth connections, they also have metal bodies, that can carry stray power.

So make sure the earth connections are tight.

You are working near water remember.

Alan 104

Very carefully???

But seriously, lights don't have earths???

AFAIK (an amateur electrician/muck about person) There are only two main wires that must be connected to the light and it does not matter which way around they go. (AC power of course) These will be attached to the ends of the fluro.

The earth should be attached (if at all) to the metal casing that you are putting the light into. (don't mix this up....) This is usually a green wire, but god only knows at times.

Try testing the final product at a distance on a power point that has a circuit breaker.

Of course fluros may be special...but I don't think so.

If you are unsure and mind getting electricuted, take it to someone who knows.

I know, so here's the real facts:

Any light with a metal frame MUST be earthed, so Lights definately DO have earths!! This is very important for safety.

The phase should be wired to phase and not neutral. Neutral is at earth potential (if there's no wiring errors or no high earth leakage) and circuits are usually designed to keep the majority of the wiring at as close to earth voltage as possible. Wiring the phase to the neutral can often make all the wiring that used to be at safe potential live...

It's common-sense really, - the more of the circuit that's at safe voltages, the less likely there is going to be a problem in the future.

If you are at all unsure how to wire up electrical devices, don't. The combination of electricity and water we have in our hobby can very easily be lethal!!!

Warren said:

If you are at all unsure how to wire up electrical devices, don't. The combination of electricity and water we have in our hobby can very easily be lethal!!!

Been watching this thread very carefully, and fully agree with the above, but I also feel that information of this nature is something that should "not" be passed on via these forums.

What position would we be in if something drastic happened to this member..?

Ok... it's only two or three wires.. but in the wrong hands (as pointed out).. they can be instanttly lethal.

I myself have posted info here on wiring flouros.. but a full diagram was given with colour coding, and full warnings given.

Like this mis-leading info given above...

There are only two main wires that must be connected to the light and it does not matter which way around they go.

It CERTAINLY DOES matter which way round they go in this situation,.. and fittings are marked for a reason.. which is the safety factor.

Even your plug at the wall may be wired the incorrect way, and only a phase test will tell you if this is correct.

Take some GOOD advice LB...

Get someone that knows what they are doing to check your circuit, as the day may come when you dip your net in the tank and get a result you had not planned for.

Bill.

LBB,

Couple of Posts on here regarding the "risks" associated with wiring. Agree completely, unless you know what you are doing, dont do it!

If the connections are clearly marked on the casing of the fixture, and you know the colours of Phase, neutral and earth, then it can be a "realtivly simple job. But to give you an idea, when i do mine... Take 1 minute to wire up, 2 minutes with a multimeter, checking as much as i can, then walk away, come back, check it again, then plug it in and switch it on. Some might say "over kill" but i aint dead yet!

If the connections arent marked then you need advise on what to connect to where, as the wiring of flouro's is tricky. Is There 1 ballast or two?

And i aint trying to be a awkward.. but because you asked... I dont really think you know... just trying to cover your butt ! :D

Thanks very much Everyone.

Yes the Tubes need to be replaced, but they came with the bulbs, will be replaceing them soon.

They all seem to work fine, Ive done this thing before, just thought that lights in the roof and flourecent fitting might be different, Yes the connection are all very clearly colour codded, red/green/blue. I previously wired up all the power and roof lighting in my fishroom, but after all these 'Warnings' i think i might get my sparky in to check everything, and wire up the rest of my lights.

Everything in the fishroom is ticking along nicely thank you Mystic :D My last stand is on its way, the lighting will complete my big stand. Got some very cool things happening in there, as far as fish and breeding goes. Will post some more pics in my fishroom topic at some stage.

Cheers Shae

When it comes to electricity - if you have to ask this sort of question then get a professional to do the work for you.

Of course if you get a pro to do it instead of trying to find out how to do it then doing it yourself you'll never learn how to do it yourself.

That said, I'd actually like to take an electrician type course...

Like this mis-leading info given above...

It CERTAINLY DOES matter which way round they go in this situation,.. and fittings are marked for a reason.. which is the safety factor.

Even your plug at the wall may be wired the incorrect way, and only a phase test will tell you if this is correct.

Bill.

While you are correct that in some electronics it DOES matter due to live/neutral wires, it does not (again AFAIK) in lights. Light points begin and terminate at the same end of the light and there is no chance of a "suppose to be neutral" wire being live instead.

The wires from plug lead to lightfitting is about 1 inch on both sides. Even in 95% of consumer electronics, the transformer is wired in a similar fashion and the circuit from that point is low voltage DC.

One would assume this is so that live/neutral swaps are not a problem.

And, as YOU say, your wall plug may be wired wrong. Since none of us can tell (99% of people on this board will have never checked one) would you suggest that everyone here phone their local electrician to check this because of the huge danger of electrocution??

While I totally agree that you should wire things correctly and not attempt things without being 100% you are not going to electricute yourself, in fact I said as much, I think that you were being somewhat alarmist here?

I, personally, found the idea of suspending a light over a tank filled with water at all a VERY stupid proposal in the first place. But I guess if we were worried about every little thing that could kill us, we would never drive cars or cross a road.

While you are correct that in some electronics it DOES matter due to live/neutral wires, it does not (again AFAIK) in lights. Light points begin and terminate at the same end of the light and there is no chance of a "suppose to be neutral" wire being live instead.

The wires from plug lead to lightfitting is about 1 inch on both sides. Even in 95% of consumer electronics, the transformer is wired in a similar fashion and the circuit from that point is low voltage DC.

As I stated earlier, for lighting (in general terms) this is not always true. Flurorescent lights and discharge lighting in general must be wired correctly for safety reasons.

If the phase is connected to neutral and vice versa the insulation can be compromised or stressed long term. The most important part is any light with metal on it must be earthed.

Basically, if you don't understand how the light works then you don't know what it's safety requirements are. This being the case, do not attempt to wire it up and get professional help.

The FNZAS will not be responsible for anyone playing with electricity based off incorrect advice given in these forums. Wire stuff up at your own risk but we strongly recommend you don't touch it unless you know exactly what you are doing. This means understanding both safe working practices and operational theory of the equipment you are working on.

I've worked in the electrical / electronics industry for 20+ years and have seen some very dodgy wiring done by people who didn't know what they were doing. It's only by good luck they are still here...

I cannot stress these points strongly enough, - for your own safety, listen to what I've said.

Although I disagree with many things you have said above mrshanepaul, I will not persue the obvious, and am overjoyed that Shae has decided to do the right thing.. :)

Shae said:

I previously wired up all the power and roof lighting in my fishroom, but after all these 'Warnings' i think i might get my sparky in to check everything, and wire up the rest of my lights.

Good one Shae.

Bill.

Caryl is correct Shae.

Over the past few years I have "completely" re-wired two removal homes we bought. one a three bed.. the other a five bed..

The Sparky wanted an unbelievable figure, plus he said there would be a long waiting list.

I said I would do the job, as the guy knew me, and also knew I was conversant enough to do the job.. so I did both houses.. and on completion he came and checked it all over.. then gave me the piece of paper that said the wiring was up to certified standard.

As Caryl points out... without this your insurance could be void.

Wouldn't shut your fishroom down.. but for peace of mind it would be worth having it certified by your sparky as soon as you can..

Bill.

you can learn to wire your entire house online, I'm sure there would be a few sites out there.

If i was you I'd do some reading so your confident to do it yourself then get the sparky in to check once you've done it.

That way your not paying them to do stuff you can do yourself. Certification is always good but a sparky won't always do a better job then you could. You know how you want it so do ti your way then get them to check.