How much is your power bill

reef

Total Watts used: 1600 watts

Watts per annum: 27010 hours per year

Kilowatt hours used: 27.01 kw/hrs

Lighting: $355.88 per year (2190 kw/hrs)

Pumps: $583.64 per year (3591.6 kw/hrs)

Filtration: $99.65 per year (613.2 kw/hrs)

Heating: $106.76 per year (657 kw/hrs)

Other appliances: $0 per year (0 kw/hrs)

TOTAL: $1145.93

That's using 0.16250c/Kwhr as suggested by Bluetom

What about solar? Esspecially those in the north, most areas are perfect for it. It would probably set you back 5-10 grand but at $500 a month thats easierly paid off in 2 years.

Would be esspecially a good idea for those of you who have just moved or building new homes. No more relying on the mains grid, if you get enough you can even make money of the power companis by running unused power through the meter box.

Large capital investment but panels last "forever" and almost zero maintainance.

SteveA - Surley you can't coun't the 1500 watts of heating into your costs. I have 900 wattsof heating, and don't remember seeing my heaters on in the last 6 months (other than at water change time).

Pie

I don't. I said "ignoring duty cycles", so that would be max consumption will everything on. The $ figues came from the power meter the whole system runs thru, so I know exactly how much power it has used without having to worry about how long different things were on.

My heaters are on about 30% of the time or more. More in the last week or so since I boosted the temperature from 25 to 27.

Steve

Once worked out that to completely power my system using solar would cost about $40,000.

Panels don't last forever either AFIK.

Steve

By my calculations the solar panels, assuming they're putting out their max rating 8 hours a day, ignoring costs of batteries and other supporting equipment and going by the best prices I could find...They would pay for themselves in 15 years and need replaced in 20 years. The supporting equipment some would last far less than that(Batteries) or longer but I'd say bet on replacing the entire system every 20 years...So, no, not worth it unless you don't have access to electricity from any other source. Better than diesel, worse than wind if you are in a windy area...

For a marine tank you'd be better off instead of powering the lighting by solar panels you could set them up under a skylight or solatube, maybe set up some kind of mirror system with sun tracking. That'd be FAR more efficient.