What do you feed your Rams?

DubbieBoy

Some, but not all, of my rams seem to be pretty fastidious in what they will or can eat, to the extent that they become quite emaciated and skinny compared to the others :( They'll take in regular flake but usually just spit it straight back out, regardless of brand or how hungry they are. Same goes for granules, even those tiny granules from Nutrafin.

The only thing they get really enthusiastic about is frozen bloodworm, of course, and 'NovaFill' from JBL which is dried mosquito larvae but I can only get this off the shelf once in a blue moon down here. Oh, and freeze-dried tubifex, which is probably not all that nutritious...

I don't have time to serve them frozen livefoods daily - any suggestions for dried foods that your rams seem to like and fatten up on?

I get daphnia live out of the horse trough (after rinsing it through a sieve. They go bezerk over it and boy are they just fat and happy! Also they eat flake goldfish food, bloodworms and really just about anything I put in the tank. However the daphnia is the thing - all the fish just love it! and it's fun watching them display the natural hunt and catch behaviour - wish I could say the same for my cats. (furry mamalian cats that is)

My Rams are on a diet of Daphnia and White worms.

This is only because these 2 foods are cheap (free) so don't have to go spend money on them.

Banana Skins for Daphia (Insides for me)

Bread Crust for Whiteworm (insides for me)

and yes the Rams are laying eggs quite regularly... another good thing about live food is that they don't pollute the water.

You get a culture from someone who has then already or go for a drive in the country and look for stock troughs. Watch out you don't gather up blanket weed or other nasties as well.

They can be kept in a large container like an old bath, fibreglass pond, half a mussel float etc. Allyou need is water and add the daphnia. They can be fed on a variety of foods like green water, dried blood, dried yeast, grass clippings (I think someone said they used them) or sheep poo.