Dechlorinator

Luke*

If you have rinsed it all off and your only dealing with a little bit of residue you may be able to get something from the pet shop. You want something to neutralize chlorine and that will be what is used. See what is on the label. I use a paste of salt to sanitize tanks as it is a mild abrasive and washes away.

I have just realised I have put you wrong. Sodium metabisulphate is what the home brewers use to sanitize their bottles, what you want is sodium thiosulphate. It may be available from the chemist.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know sodiumthiosulfate is the ingredient in the shop bought water agers/waterconditioners/dechlorinators. At the low concentration used it's probably safer then the chlorine it destroys.

Not sure where to buy it in bulk though. from memory it is about 7 gram/ 100mL For a solution that will treat/age 1 liter with 1 drop. (Make sure you check this becasue I'm not 100% certain, been a while since I made some)

What I usually do with my guppy tanks after I bleach them is to wash them with salt (sodiumchloride), rinse them and let the tank dry out completely. Dry for a day will usually do it.