What are my chances

PENEJANE

YAY I went into the pet store today as I was wanting to get more half blacks if they had managed to get imports. To my supprise there was an albino male in there.

My question is, if my albino male was to mate with a normal female what are my chances of getting more albinos? They didn't have any females to go with him but was told that my chances were high to get more albinos by just having a male. So the tank that was set up for my solid half blacks is now for the albino and I have put in 4 golden females.

I shall let you know over the next few months what happens :D

sooo excited :D YAY

cheers

Cool :D

I am hoping (after the "NO MORE TANKS" from my husband he has now suggested getting another 3 2ft tanks!!!) that I can keep all of one sort in one tank like my solid blacks in one, snakeskins/albinos in another and the fry will be in one as well and the rest will be in one tank with the main bristlenoses. So heres hoping to get some solid breeding sorted eventually.

Fish room here I come!!

haha

Cheers

at the moment he is in a tank with some light coloured females (golden). Two of them have already had babies and I know that they are more than likely pregnant by another fish in the tank. As soon as some more virgin females come up in my fry tank I will add them to the albinos tank.

After christmas I am getting one of my new tanks. It will be set up for the ablino.

Got a question to ask though. With the fry, can the male fry only fertalise the females if their fin is developed or can they do that before its developed? I have noticed (watching my tanks for many hrs out of the day) that my young males are not interested in the females when they don't have that developed fin. Only once its fully developed do they start displaying for the females. If this is true then I am hoping with my fry tank (soon to move to a 2ft) I can remove the males before they can fertalise any females as the males tend to get some colour before females and their fin starts to point up I can then put them into the other fry tank and leave the females in the fry tank untill I decide which tank they will go into with what males :D

Please correct me if I am wrong or going about it wrong.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

well it looks like my albino male isn't looking to good. I have read that the albino gene can make the fish more likely to catch diseases than others. I have noticed its tail has had a very small rip in it which over the last 3 days it has gotten bigger. Like more is being eaten away. I have seen my bristlenoses fan out their spiky things and have caught my guppies tails with it before but normaly they heal from it but this time this one isn't healing as well.

My outlook isn't that high for my albino as I haven't had any fry from the 4 females that are with him. All he does is hang out in his corner but comes out when I am feeding them. Might shift them to a bigger tank and see how things go :D

If you manage to get any albinos let me know how things went for you.

Cheers