Is this an acceptable practice????? surely NOT!!

radu

Hi

Well I might be a newbie in appreciating the Oranda fish, and I have gained a lot of knowledge of late, but there is an oranda on auction on trademe at present and the guy that owns it claims to trim the hood on his orandas. I have never heard of this practice, it seems cruel and surely it would stress the fish out not to mention making the fish prone to infection and fungal probs. I would never do this to my orandas, but can people let me know what they think or shed any light on this practice?? Following, is a copy of his explanation of what he does. (It sounds barbaric to me!)

I have a trimmer which I bought from sewing machine shop. If the hood, crown, cap or wen is growing out of proportion or unbalance growth or the fish cannot see anymore, I will catch it and start trimming one side first. Then put back the fish to the water not to stress it. After a minute catch again and trim the other side. No medication required, wen is avery soft tissue and not much blood too. Be sure your water quality is good before you do the trimming. The wound will cure fast.

The guy has a point, their hoods grow so large that they can't see. IMO they're an aberration and shouldn't have been so inbred in the first place. I'd think it'd be ok if the method in that Goldfish forum was followed, the fish wouldn't feel a thing and they'd be able to exist somewhat functionally. It doesn't sound like the guy on that auction used anesthetisia though, which is pretty cruel.

I don't know how much feeling they have in that tumor, so don't know how much it would hurt them. But, it's for their own good and I'm not sure they're really advanced enough to feel much pain anyway so...I'd say it all evens out. Is it crueler to have the fish be blind because of the deformities that have been bred into it or to have it hurt a little bit every once in a while?

Yeah but Wok those fish evolved like that because it was advantageous to them, and they have an advanced lateral line system to compensate for it. The Goldfish are like that because man has taken deformities and bred them to accentuate it. In the wild their mutant forefathers wouldn't have survived.