Coldwater predator?

HummingBird

A friend of mine has a pond - not connected to any waterways or anything - that is teeming with Gambusia. He wants to get a predacious fish to put in it to eat them (like an Oscar or something, but obviously an Oscar wouldn't work in a pond in NZ). Does anyone know of any sorts of fish that would fit the bill?

I remember you folks talking about these fish in another thread. If I remember correctly, they are not wanted in your waterways as they wipe out other species...plus, other reasons they are not wanted.

But, if they can't get into a waterway...if they are confined to a pond, why do you want to kill them?

I was going to suggest you try to catch them and then use them a live food for tropicals however;

What damage do they do?

Gambusia populations quickly expand to outnumber other species. They attack native fish by nipping at their fins and eyes and prey on their eggs. Whitebait and mudfish species are especially vulnerable to Gambusia as they inhabit similar habitats.

Taken from DOC site,may be more trouble than worth.

What about just some comets?

If the pond is an outdoors one, Oscars will hack it over summer in Auck no sweat.

I saw a homemade pond down Parapram, outside, that had heaps of baby oscars in it

Pond was made from concrete blocks, and lined with a piece of black polythene

May have to give them and umbrella to keep dry out of the rain tho, if the friend's place iss situated in Auck.

Alan 104

It's quite a large pond (100m squared at least) and it's naturally formed so that might pose a bit of a problem. There are some shallow bits around the edges that an Oscar probably couldn't get into (but Gambusia could) so he might have to block that bit of the pond off. It's going to be quite a mission to get them out, he doesn't know how they got in there in the first place.

Why not get in touch with MAF and tell them of your problem.

I'm sure they'd be only to pleased to help or at least tell you how to fix the problem.

There is such a thing as an electric fish stunner that they use.

Excellent contraption.

The other way that springs to mind is to lime it.

Not the citrus type tho.

Ask the MAFia about the amount to use.

That works really well.

I heard of a Koi pond in the Tauranga area that was discovered,

and the fish were annihilated with the lime.

Alan 104

Gambusia are called mosquito fish and are live bearers used in Asia as live fish food, hence the odd one has come into NZ with imported fish. They are distributed world wide because they were thought to feed almost exclusively on mosquito larvae, but they are actually not that good at controlling mosquito larva and will eat all sorts of stuff. Our dearly beloved trout and salmon fishers have no doubt convinced the Maf they are bad critters. I don't know if they are or not, but they are certainly not legal. Calcium oxide will kill them, and everything else as it uses up all the oxygen, but I am not sure how you get the life back into the water. A fish friendly Vet might have an idea on that or an alternative. I think you would need chemical control to completely wipe them out. Good luck

might as well give the oscars a go, or get a bunch of heaters and huge pumps and add some bad boy cichlids. I don't know if varieties of barbs would eat the fish as they may be too big but they can handle summer water temps outside too. let us know how you get on