Backing Paper or other material for behind the aquarium

iisfaq

I am trying to decide what I should do on the back walls of my aquarium (I am getting an Aqua one 880 Corner Tank)

It is 650mm high and 750mm wide on each side.

Some thoughts I have had:

Buy expensive aquarium scene backing (although I do not like most of them)

Stick black paper over the back

Stick black plastic over the back

Place black weed map over the back (has a small weave pattern)

Place black fabric over the back (could maybe then be washed)

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of these options or any other options?

Chris

I've used paper before - black paper on one tank and an aqua coloured wrapping paper on another. I covered them with clear duraseal first to waterproof them

Thanks Jude

I will have a look see and see what I can find that I like.. I just want to get my tank and then I will know more.....

Chris

For one of my tanks I have a sheet of light weight board painted black on one side and light blue on the other....it is really nice to have a change now and again...for one f my small tanks I have some of the fishy backing paper pinned to the wall (to avoid the inevitable dribbles and condensation)

I had thought of buying some test pots in different colours and just painting on paper to create different backgrounds which can be alternated either by pinning to the wall or blu-tacking to a piece of board to put behind the tank...you could try different painting techniques (sponging/rag rolling whatever)

currently my main tank has just the yellow wall behind it....it had been 'black' for a month or so...I am ready for the light blue/sky blue background when we shift next week :-)...it really shows the colours of the fish up better than the black (though the black is good for showing up the plants.)

I went into Animates today and their tanks have a blue painted background and it looks very nice.

I spoke to a lady Katy and she said it was painted with a water based paint and most tanks had 4 coats.

It does make it look very nice - so I may take this option.

I suppose it also depends on what colour I could use - I am not sure I would want to use black but it may be the best.

I had black but decided it looked too heavy. I've experimented with different colours and found a fairly pale blue looks nicest (to my eyes anyway). What I am using now is one of the blue foam camping mats you can buy for the warehouse. I cut it to size and taped it to the back of the tank - I figure it will also provide some insulation. I am very pleased with the colour of it.

Cheers

Jude

I tried a mirror behind my discus tank once but it really spooked the fish they might have gottem used to it or perhaps would have reacted better if I'd put it in when I set the tank up. I guess they were used to going to the back for security and then suddenly there were 'other' fish back there.