CONFERENCE 2003

Caryl

Plans are well underway for the FNZAS conference 2003. This conference is open to all FNZAS members.

Queen's Birthday weekend May 30 - June 2.

Blenheim

Accommodation is at Bings Motel which has a restauant/conference centre attached. Registration forms will be sent to all club secretaries late February.

Guest speaker has been arranged and I am sure all will find him most interesting. He is an internationally acknowledged underwater photographer and will have a number of his photos and slides to show. They are spectacular!

We hope to set up several computers on-site with lessons on how to surf fish sites, including Forums like this, and chat on-line to those of you unable to attend (plus our friends, several who belong to this forum as well, in The Community Tank).

Help will be available for those interested in becoming moderators or administrators, but don't know how.

Still trying to decide which wineries/breweries to include (if any).

SEE YOU THERE!!

Caryl said...

> Plans are well underway for the FNZAS conference 2003.

Sounds like you've got it well in hand. In case you haven't

been informed, I'm secretary of PNAS (gotta change that

acronym :D). Send any info to me at 15 Rata Street, thanks.

Looking forward to conference and a few days in Chch

afterwards.

Andrew.

Until you said that Andrew it had never occurred to me! Too angelic I am.

Don't expand (no pun intended) on this theme please people or the thread will have to be removed from this friendly family forum :lol:

(she says while still sniggering)

• 4 weeks later...

Registration forms will actually go out at the end of March now as I am still finalising meal options.

Goods have started coming in already from retailers and wholesalers kind enough to send products for use as raffles or prizes. I received a lovely big box of goodies from Jansens this morning.

• 4 weeks later...

The weekend starts with the usual get-together on Friday night at Bings Motel, 29 Maxwell Rd. Blenheim. There is a former restaurant on-site which will be our conference room for the weekend. You will be able to check-in then join other delegates and observers there for the evening. Hot drinks and juice will be available and a supper will be served. For those who did not eat before arrival there are plenty of eateries within walking distance of Bings. Choose from café style to fish and chips, pizza, Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Irish (Paddy Barry’s Pub), Italian or Cambodian.

On Saturday we meet back in the restaurant to hear our guest speaker, a well known underwater photographer, Roger Thwaites. He will be showing photographs taken from dive trips around the world, plus offering a few tips for those who would like to try underwater photography for themselves.

After morning tea the AGM will begin and take the rest of the day. Lunch will be served on-site.

The evening meal will be at the Bamboo Garden Restaurant, a short distance down the road. After the meal you may enjoy Blenheim’s nightlife (if there is one. We have a nightclub called Goats Don’t Shave) or return to the motel and spend the evening in your unit or with others in the conference room.

Computers with internet access will be set up on-site for those wanting to see the FNZAS web site and learn how to find their way around the many fish information sites which abound on the world wide web.

Sunday morning starts with a talk by our webmaster, Cees Lensink, who will explain more about the FNZAS web site and give lessons to those willing to help with the site by becoming moderators (people who make sure no-one posts nasty, rude, or defamatory words in the forums) or administrators (those who add or remove information from the site in general).

At 10.30am the bus will pick us up to take us on a tour of the province. The details are still being finalised but it will include a tour and tasting at Montana Wines Ltd., Dodson’s Brewery, a bar lunch at the Woodbourne Tavern and fun on board an Argosy freight plane.

The evening meal will be at Springland’s Tavern Beaver’s restaurant where they offer a lovely smorgasboard. From here it is back to the motel for a party to celebrate our 50th anniversary!

Plenty of prizes, raffles, give-aways and fun to be had. SEE YOU THERE!!

Register ASAP as it will be first in first served with the accommodation.

I am in the process of sending forms out to clubs but having difficulty with no Year Book! If anyone knows of updated club contacts since the ones posted on this site, please let me know ASAP.

Caryl said...

> The weekend starts with the usual get-together on Friday night ...

Everything seems to be under control, I'm looking forward to the

weekend. I'll be heading to Chch the week after and will be keen

to catch up with any fishkeepers there...

> We have a nightclub called Goats Don’t Shave

Which is, oddly enough, the name of a band too...

http://www.cookingvinyl.com/goats/

> ... a tour and tasting at Montana Wines Ltd

Woo-hoo!

> If anyone knows of updated club contacts since the ones

> posted on this site, please let me know ASAP.

I'm stand-in Secretary for PNAS and can be found at:

15 Rata Street

Palmerston North.

Andrew.

Hi Caryl

Can you post the registration forms for the Kapi-Mana club to me at:

20 Mexted Tce

Tawa

Wellington

I am doing the organising for our club, so it's probably easier if the information comes to me.

Thanks!

Jane

Too late guys! The Kapi-Mana reg forms (4) went to Dominique. I meant to send you 2 personally Janey but I don't think I did in the end.

Andrew 4 are coming to you for NZKA and the 4 for PN went to Edwards/Cowan as I was told one of them was secretary.

Caryl ... the forms sent for the Palm North club have probably been sent to the house which is now empty. They have moved to Hamilton and Andrew took over the Secretary role. Never mind .. I suppose he will be in touch. (Just in case you don't hear from Andrew, you can send more forms out as soon as possible).

I was (and still am) hoping to get down as well. My son started with the Army three weeks ago and one of his 'family' days is the 30th. I am hoping to convince his sister to go see him that weekend instead of us. That way we came down south. Suppose I need to get that sorted out fairly soon so we can get a booking on the ferry. I am hoping to use that weekend as a sort of honeymoon thing as neither of us can get away now from work committments. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

Caryl said...

> Andrew 4 are coming to you for NZKA

They should've probably gone to who-ever is secretary. I never

have been. Stuart Lord (current President) would know who is.

> ... the 4 for PN went to Edwards/Cowan as I was told one of

> them was secretary.

Back on January 30, in this very thread, I asked for them to be sent

to me since the Edwards/Cowan combo had left town. Ah well,

I guess I can photocopy the NZKA ones and use them for PNAS.

I'll see if I can find out who the NZKA secretary or delegates are

and forward the paperwork to them.

Andrew.

Caryl said...

> Can I send 4 more to you Andrew?

Hang onto them for a minute and I'll find out who the NZKA

ones should go to so you can send them there, then I can use

the ones you sent to me (nice job BTW :) ) for PNAS. How

does that sound?

At worst, you could probably send the NZKA ones to Stuart Lord.

> ... it has been difficult with no Year Book.

You're not wrong there.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Thanks Caryl :)

I have just booked ferry tickets for 9 of our members, and we have another couple of 'undecideds' still.

We decided at our meeting last night that we didn't want to miss out on any of the 'action', so we are catching the 2pm ferry across on the Friday afternoon, and leaving on the 1.30pm ferry on the Monday.

Will get those registration forms to you as soon as they arrive :D

Jane

In that case I will put more reg forms in the envelope :lol:

Looking forward to seeing you all.

BTW: The motel would like as many as possible to be in the 4 to a unit (or more) if possible so we don't use up all their double units. So if you are happy to share it would be good.

Just off to post them now...

One of the registration forms which arrived today pointed out that I had forgotten to put the DATES on the forms. I know it is Queen's birthday weekend so didn't think of it :lol:

As you all know, the dates of Queen's Birthday weekend are May 30 - June 2!!

Please pass this information around and get those registration forms back in ASAP.

If any FNZAS member wants a registration form but has not received one, or cannot get one from their club secretary, please contact me immediately and I will post one to you.

A note of warning to those who have yet to send in their registration forms - The Great Marlborough Treasure Hunt has just been announced for the same weekend and they are expecting lots of people to come treasure hunting so accommodation will be well booked.

Caryl said...

> A note of warning to those who have yet to send in their

> registration forms

The PNAS AGM is next wednesday so hopefully we'll sort out

who is going from here, then.

Looks like I wont be able to make it after all :(

Andrew.

Caryl said...

> I thought you were taking time off and continuing on

> to Christchurch?

Yep, Peter Sebborn and I were planning on doing that but now

he's off to the tropics for work for several weeks so that kinda

puts the kibosh on that. While I could, of course, go to Blenheim

anyway, part of the appeal was the Chch trip. I'll see what

happens over the next few weeks but it's unlikely I'll get

organised enough in time.

We'll go down to Chch later on in the year perhaps. Maybe

wait for spring and go see Kelly too.

> Carey was looking forward to seeing you.

Yes, well, I was looking forward to catching up with him too

and checking out the shops etc. Ah well, can't be helped.

Andrew.