Cloudy water!

Caper

Hi all :P

The water in the 29 gallon tank is cloudy not too bad but not clear (10 gallon is crystal clear).

Checked:

ammonia - 0

nitrites - 0

pH - between 7.2 & 7.6

BUT, I'd say maybe the last few days, I can hear the water from the filter which I don't usually hear unless I'm right by it & even then not much noise at all.

ANYWAY, I just checked and where the intake tube sits...going into the filter....the water is coming out there just like it does on the....ah, side it's supposed to :-?

Could this have anything to do with the water not coming clear????

I'm going to take it apart and see what happens. Oh, hears hoping that it doesn't stop working altogether :o

Hard to say for sure, since I don't know anything about the filter you're using, but if something's come loose and the water is bypassing the filter and not being filtered that could be the cause. Give it a clean and make sure all the tubes are tight.

Thanks Ira...thought I missed you!

Ok...cleaned out filter! Here are pics:

Both filters are Aqua-Tech, 10 gallon is Aqua Tech 5-15; 29 gallon is Aqua Tech 20-40.

10 gallon - see around intake tube no water!

10gfilter.jpg

29 gallon - water around intake tube, slowly starting to trickle down again!

29gfilter.jpg

Any suggestions! I wanted to draw lines around like I saw you folks too...haven't figured out how to do that, must play some more with pics :roll:

The water is starting to come down...where the intake tube is...the other filter doesn't do that. Shouldn't the water be only flowing back in on the one side?????

Darn, can't remember if its always been like that...see, I'm short so have to stand on tippy toes to see it! :o

That used to happen to my hang filters when the sponge got to clogged. If its been runing for a while I would take the whole thing apart and give it a proper clean. Rinse the sponges in tank water then leave them in some water or in the tank while you take the rest of the filter apart and clean it. Use a 'bottle brush' to clean out the pipes etc, you should also be able to take the impeler out of the motor and clean that as well.

Okay...I cleaned the filter today but the water is still trickling down same side as the intake tube.

I didn't touch the filters though...the bio filter is really scummy in the 29 gallon (not in the 10)...but just swishing it in tank water isn't getting rid of the scum...any other suggestions on how I can clean it without ruining it????

The carbon filter is new so that should be ok.

1) So could the build up on the bio filter be causing this to happen?

2) Could it be the reason that the tank isn't clear?

Thanks for all the help :bow:

My Aquaclear does this when the sponge is clogged. It is only a problem if it flows out the front around the tube. If the water is going sideways into the bit where the media is, then flowing out with the rest then don't worry about it. If you can hear it, when you couldn't before, that sounds to me like it needs a clean. If the filter is not working correctly it would account for the cloudiness. (If it is dark cloudy then maybe the carbon was a bit dirty.)

I remove the sponge and give it a thorough squeezing and wash under the tap but we don't have anything added to our water supply so I recommend you clean yours in a bucket of used tank water. One of my sponges is about 10 years old and still fine. They can take a lot of squishing and squeezing :wink:

A tad confused...heck, lot confused :-?

Your right Caryl, some of the water is going over and out the way it should...but there is water trickling back down on the side where the intake tube is.

The bio filter isn't spongy...not like the blue on the carbon filter. Swishing it isn't getting rid of all the "yuck". I used a soft toothbrush to remove the worst of it...but was scared to do anymore in case it would cause damage.

What do you think...can I used a soft toothbrush and gently clean it????

Thanks for all the help :bow::bow:

Thought I'd add this...when I had the bubble wall going part of it was under the filter (where the water comes back into the tank)...do you think that could have caused a built up of "yuck"

If the aerator is discharging bubbles below the filter suction point, it is likely that air has got into the filter/pump and it's lost suction.

I've got a couple of these filters, and always have trouble starting them pumping again when they are full of air after cleaning the filter medium. The only way I get it started for sure is the lower the whole filter unit below the water level, wiggle it around a bit while plugging in the power. Riase the filter up a bit and watch until it starts pumping. Then turn the power off and VERY quickly lift the unit into its proper position and wack the power back on.

Incidentally, it's always best to wash the filter medium in tank water, so the bio action does not have to start from square one again.

Good luck!

The bubble wand wasn't under the intake tube...but at least part way under where the water runs back into the tank.

I've cleaned the filter (intake tube, impeller, etc.) a bit of improvement but still some water trickling down the same side as the intake tube.

What about cleaning the bio filter with the soft toothbrush, opions on that?

As long as most of the flow is coming out the proper way, I wouldn't worry too much. You'll still be getting filtration. You can guess at the amount of filtration by turning the filter down a little. When you get to the point where the water isn't flowing out the wrong way, look at the position of the flow control. If you've turned it down by half or more, you probably just need to get the gunk off the filter media. Use whatever method works.

Is that a removable screen with the blue stuff stuck to it? I took that bit out of ours and added media from my other tank filter (ceramic noodles). Stopped the backflow.

Cheers,

Vapo

As long as most of the flow is coming out the proper way, I wouldn't worry too much. You'll still be getting filtration.

Yes, most of the water returning back into the tank is coming down the right side.

You can guess at the amount of filtration by turning the filter down a little

This filter has no controls...you just plug it in!

Darn...just went over & checked...there is more water trickling down the by the intake tube :x

I think I'll do my water change today and take filter apart again to clean and give the bio filter a gentle scrub with a soft toothbrush. I'm just wondering too if maybe I have the filters not sitting properly in the filter :roll:

Thanks for the help :P Will let you know how I make out!

If the aerator is discharging bubbles below the filter suction point, it is likely that air has got into the filter/pump and it's lost suction.

I've got a couple of these filters, and always have trouble starting them pumping again when they are full of air after cleaning the filter medium. The only way I get it started for sure is the lower the whole filter unit below the water level, wiggle it around a bit while plugging in the power. Riase the filter up a bit and watch until it starts pumping. Then turn the power off and VERY quickly lift the unit into its proper position and wack the power back on.

Incidentally, it's always best to wash the filter medium in tank water, so the bio action does not have to start from square one again.

Good luck!

all you have to do to get these going again after cleaning is to fill the unit ( in its usual place on the tank) from a container with tank water while turning it on... usually take 20 seconds for the pump to lift water from tank to start cycle...if you have clear tubes you can see the action... 8)

is the intake tube fully pushed into the pump housing

I think it was Klay.

Anyway, did my water change yesterday and took filter apart and gave a really good cleaning. I also gave my filters a cleaning in the water I took out. The bio was really scummy so gently used a toothbrush and got the worst off. Then I took it of the plastic "holder" it sits in and just squeezed water through it. I hope I didn't do any damage doing all this but the filter was really bad.

When I put the filters back in, I didn't put the carbon filter as close as I usually have it (kind of a hard thing to judge). So far I don't see the water coming down the same side as the intake tube. Hopefully, that issue is resolved.

HOWEVER, my water is still a bit cloudy. I bought something called "Clear Water" made by Jungle Labs. Supposed to remove odour and cloudiness from established tanks.

It states a caution that it will stain! Open the bottle and it looks almost like a deep purple/reddish color. The stuff I used for Ich turned my silicone blue. Do you think this will do the same??

Do you think I should use it at all? Except for adding the Start Right to remove the chlorine and chloramine, I'm a little weary about adding anything.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated :hail::hail::P:P

from a container with tank water while turning it on

I just add water and it's like you said takes a few seconds and starts. The only thing I've been doing wrong there is :oops: :oops: when I add the water to start it, I've been using clean water (Start Right added) didn't know I should have been using tank water to start.

Yes, Ira, been getting really nervous about adding stuff to my tank (unless its recommended here and for sick fishies).

Tank still isn't clear as I have seen it before. When you look at it from the front, not too bad but when you look in from the sides you really see the difference. In the 10 gallon, clear not matter what side you look in :P

Thanks all :bow::bow:

I think this one...a couple of weeks...I usually change it once a month...in between just rinse in water removed from tank.

Some pics...hopefully you'll see the difference :-?

10 gallon from front:

DSC00965.jpg

from side:

DSC00966.jpg

29 gallon from front:

DSC00967.jpg

from one side (Blue is waving :P ):

DSC00969.jpg

other side:

DSC00968.jpg

DSC00970.jpg

How come my pics are disappearing...were they too big???? :o

Back to the water...maybe I'm over feeding...that could be it, right?

Perhaps I should cut back...maybe over zealous because this tank has more fish than the smaller one & was kinda scared of not feeding enough...but maybe I'm over feeding!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...water not as bad...but STILL not clear :x

Any suggestions...please :hail::hail:

I don't know what else to do!

:evil: Darn, I can't find it...but was reading through another post and it mentioned something about plastic containers taken oxygen out of water.

I put my water from the tap into plastic containers, add the Start Right...and then let it sit till needed.

Is it possible this could be somehow making my water cloudy? Although, same water I use for my 10 gallon and it is clear, but then, I don't change as much water. :-?

OHHHHHHH PLEASE...any suggestions? I had a another thread on this but got lost when server crashed. Can't remember what I asked then but...could I be overstocked?

15 neons

2 black neons

1 sailfin molly

1 molly

3 platies

1 pleco

3 guppies

2 WCMM

2 black eye tetras

What if I put a bigger filter? Not that I'd be able to do it anytime soon, but just a thought, maybe?????

Weird...my tank has finally cleared! The last couple of days before the next water change...I was almost scared to do the water change for fear it would be all cloudy again!

Buuuuuuuut, it didn't even get cloudy when I did the water change...which it normally does...oh well, don't know what's different, I didn't do anything!

Hmmmmmmmm....there was a new ornament in there...it had been cleaned and cleaned before putting in the tank (plain water that is). Perhaps, that's what caused it!

But I also noticed, when I vacuumed there was not alot of "junk" in the water that was removed where as previously there was quite a bit. Soooo...maybe I was overfeeding...what do you think???????????????