Where are they all?

sinnaz

Hi i have been reading the posts here for a while and am interested in getting my hands on some of these fish, but cannot seem to find them, a couple shops here had a couple of the ones you guys are talking about but very expensive....can anyone please let me know where to find them!!!

Cause the NZKA club members are really the only ones dedicated to the continuality of the killies in NZ.

Where abouts are you located sinnaz ??

If you wish to join the NZKA and learn more on how to obtain these little jewels of the aquarium, send me an email, and I can then send you a rego form with the necessary information.

Alan 104

alanandrose(at)xtradotcodotnz

Al

Just to give you an idea, I have a comunity tank that I have thrown a mix into which include:

SJD,s Black ghost knife

Albino gerdneri Gunters fire killi

Dageti Kortause killi

palmqvesti American flag fish

guppys neons

white clouds Hoplo's

Bristle nose Australe gold's

I think that is about it. But do note I only add males due to identifying the species.

It makes a great looking tank and always gets comments.

cheers

They should be ok.

I have found the gardneri are a little pugnatious and do a bit of chasing.

The australe tend to be more reclusive until they put on good size and become comfortable with the activity.

I checked my tank and found I forgot to list small angels, featherfin pearl fish and golden gourami.

Species:

Jordanella floridae

Aphyosemion Australe (gold or Choc form)

Nothobranchius Korthausae (red form, pure Yellow form)

Nothobranchius Gold Guntheri

Nothobranchius Palmqvisti "gezani"

Chromaphyosemion Bitaeniatum

Aplocheilus lineatus (Gold and Wild form)

Simpsonichthyis Constanciae

Fundulopanchax Gardneri Albino

Fundulopanchax Gardneri Nigeriatum Gold

Fundulopanchax Sjoestedi (blue gularis form)

Fundulopanchax Filamentosum

Fundulopanchax Gardneri Blue

Fundulopanchax Scheeli

Epiplatys Degati

Epiplatys Annulatus

Poropanchax normani (lampeye)

Ones that im aware of anyway. Correct me if i have ay spelling wrong.

Shae

Killies, or Killifish have two basic ways to differentiate from each other, which divides the species into two groups, you've got your annuals and your non-annuals.

Annuals- These are species that live on an average for 18 months, sometimes up to two years, they grow very fast from fry to breedable, and I quite often have 6 week old annual killifish breeding. They breed in peat, at normal tropical temps, and require very little tank space. The eggs need to be incubated dry, in the peat between 2-3 months depending on species, once the peat has matured, rinse it in some tank water, and watch the fry hatch out, depending on feeding and quality of the killifish, ive had upwards of 300+ fry hatch out at a time, from 1 weeks breeding.

Non-Annuals- These are the species of killifish than can live 3 years plus, majority breed using the mop method, where they spawn on the wool mop, the eggs stick, allows the keeper to remove mop and place eggs in a solution of something like blue meths or malachite green, which help prevent fungicide. Fry usually hatch in about 2 weeks. For some species the peat method of breeding can be far more effective though. Fry for both species are big enough to eat BBS when hatched. Allot of this species, if fed well can be bred in a heavily planted tank, and will live with various stages of there fry, no troubles.

Killifish are among the most beautiful tropical freshwater fish kept in the world, I would recommend them to everyone, with the right conditioning and water parameters, I would class them as easy to breed. Females Killifish are plain and ugly.....of coarse :lol:

Some pictures of my Killifish

Aplochiulus Lineatus (wild form) non-annual grows up to 13cm

Wildliny1.jpg

Fresh hatch of Nothobranchius, this was from a teaspoon of a small bag of mature peat, yes those small things are fry

IMGA1515.jpg

Nothobranchius Korthausae - Annual

Nothobranchius-Korthause-red1.jpg

Young, Nothobranchius Palmqvisti- Annual

nothobranchius-palmqvisti1.jpg

Nothobranchius Guetheri Gold -Annual

Notho_guentheri_M_3.jpg

Young, Nothobranchius Korthausae Yellow -Annual

nothobranchius-kothause1.jpg

Simpsonichthys constanciae (male and female) -Annual

Simp-Constanciea1.jpg

Correct me if im wrong

Cheers Shae

Hi

I will recommend this to you. Best fun with fish!

:D

You will read from my posts what I have encountered. The guys mentioned are great; as is everyone in the club that I have met :D:D

Get the bbs going! It is learning all teh way and heaps of fun, My fry are still going strong :lol: 8)

Werner 264