New Reef Tank

TM

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet setup,

Did you cook the rock?

Where did you get the starboard from? and how much did it set you back?

I wouldn't say i fully cooked it, but i did cook for a while.

Starboard or HDPE came from canty plastics cost about $130 mates rates??

looks better than the real thing. I haven't found and sort of halide reflectors, (other than the crap hydroponics ones) in NZ.

Who made them?

Layton

You can make them yourself. The dimensions are from a DIY thread on RC (supposedly the same as actual Luminarcs), and you can easily make them yourself from polished aluminum (TM's are out of stainless steel). I think the thread was actually pulled from RC due to Copyright issues, but not sure. If you are interested and can't find the thread via the RC search function, let me know. I made a PDF copy.

I made mine for $25 each including rivets and aluminum (not my time, of course). If you are interested Layton, I have the cardboard templates that were used to make mine and TMs, which should make it even easier for you.

Cheers,

Steve

Yeah, I made a template for his buddy to make some for both of us, but after he made the first one and realized how much of a PITA it is to do all those spot welds, etc... he decided that two was enough (understandably since they are so well made)! :D You can probably stand on them without causing any damage!! :o

I'm sure that Tim's mate could probably be convinced to do it for the right price, but the original price before he realized how time consuming it is to work with SS was over twice as much as if I made it myself out of aluminum and rivets.

If I had my choice, I would certainly want ones like Tim's that are professionally done, but the guy's not going to give me mate's rates and I don't think that the additional cost that I would have to pay is worth it. Just as anything in this world, it's all about who you know and I don't know him! :cry:

It took about $60 worth of metal and about four hours to make it up. its all been spot welded every 10mm, and then sand blasted along the joins. theres over 100 welds.

It is seriously the sweetest reflector I've seen in person. If I had the top of my tank exposed, I wouldn't mind them being viewable at all. Definitely a sweet score. Can't wait to see them actually on the tank!

hey TM awsome tank, how do you have your return pipeing setup? does it go from 32mm into 1 25mm bulkhead or split into 2 25mm?im setting up a tank the same except only 75wide so would be good to know how you did it.

Thanks

It goes from the pump thru 25mm pressure pipe up to an elbow that goes over the top of the tank, and it is then glued under the bracing. the pipe goes round the inside of all the bracing around the tank. There are three outlets evenly spaced at the front and i on each side in the middle. The water exits thru 3/4 loc-line.

I didn't drill a hole in the tank as it was going to be to close to the edges of the tank and strength was an issue.

The tank is only made from 10mm glass (30" high tank)

Make sense, will try and get some better photos of it.