September 23, 200521 yr comment_66794 The pH in my discus tank is 7.6. How do I get it back down to 7 or lower? A problem is my tapwater which is pH 7.4, so doing more water changes won't help. The tank has been set up only a couple of months. I used a dark gravel from Jansens. They said it would produce an acidic pH, but it obviously hasn't. I would greatly appreciate some help. My tank is planted with a couple of large pieces of bogwood. Report
September 23, 200521 yr Author comment_66799 The books say they prefer neutral or slightly acidic pH so will they be Ok long term at this pH. Report
September 23, 200521 yr comment_66804 you will probably create more problems trying to lower the pH than to keep it where it is. The discuss will be ok at that pH provided it does not change all the time. Report
September 23, 200521 yr comment_66830 I wouldn't alter the PH as long as it is stable. Just make sure that there is no ammonia in the water. Discus can live in PH8 with no problem. New tank and gravel is the cause of the high PH. Give it a couple of months and it will start crashing when the bio load build up. Cheers, Ronnie Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.