bracing

Brianemone

10mm glass still bows if only using mid brace for support , even in a 4ft tank. for a 6/10ft think of the loading on the top rim surround braces without a center.brace or two. :o .. see that most tanks 6-8 ft use two halide units .. whats the prob with one centre brace placed between the lighting .. "peace of mind tank keeping".. 8) ... no tank blowouts 5 years down the track :o :-? 8) ...working with aquatics have seen sum "lovely :-? " tank blow outs and can only say " didn't want to be infront when that went!! :o:o:o ... but we all have our own opinions :D

6-8 ft use two halide units

6-8 foot tanks are likley to have between 4-6, not 2. 2 on a 2-4 footer. Chimera has 3 on his 5 footer, Reef 4 on his 8 footer, me with 5 on my 7 footer :)

Center braces are nessessary, even in 12mm glass, the glass bows. Take the hit and use glass if you must, I opted for my SS system, couldn't be happier.

Pie

metal bacing isn't required on 4 tanks (unless 750-900 high.).. when dealing with large tanks we always had metal outer bracing with centre braces on anything from 6 ft to 2.7 mtr with heights of 650 - 750mm( one scary thing is after the tanks are filled ( 2 mtr plus ones) even with multi centre+rim/metal bracing there was always a slight bulging of the glass and slight gapping of the metal braces at the ends of the tanks .. never ran a straight edge over the front , but I bet some of you will after reading this post ... food for thought 8) 8) 8) .