Tanks and natural light.

petplanet

Ok, moving house soon and am planning the new system. Has anyone got any advice/experience regarding using/effect of natural light?

The tank is going right next to windows (not my first choice but means it can be 3ft wide) and I am thinking of getting a sky light (window style) above the tank as the roof is north facing and then supplementing with T5 and halides.

I figure overheating should not be an issue as I will put extractor fans in to remove the hot air and the sump system while be in the basement.

Heya PetPlanet

My tank is between 2 large windows. It gets drecnhed in sunlight (from the sides/front not the top) during sunlight hours.

I can't say it makes any noticeable difference for the good or bad of the tank. So I wouldn't worry about it.

It would be cool to supliment the tank with natural sunlight, but not sure quite how you would do it, but I would if I could.

Good luck with the new project.

Pie

I had my tank in the conservatory for quite a while. Anthony Calfo raves about natural sunlight and thus why I originally put it out there. I didn't notice any real benefit compared to the MHs that I am running now. However, I really didn't have my setup optimized for sun exposure since I had this huge canopy housing these awful floros that I was using at the time as well. I would certainly do it again if I could have some means of controlling the major temperature swings.

I was talking to a local reefer in ChCh recently and he is thinking of using some really sweet sky lights for the majority of his lighting. Depending how things go for him, I may go this route as well. It would be GREAT to reduce my damn power bill!!

I was talking to a local reefer in ChCh recently and he is thinking of using some really sweet sky lights for the majority of his lighting. Depending how things go for him, I may go this route as well. It would be GREAT to reduce my damn power bill!!

Yes i have been looking into it very closely and am going to put three Solatubes above my tank to supply a large amount of the lighting to my new tank. It is still very much in progression as i am also having to make it fit around the new house renivations. The three sola lights will run most of the lights except for one of the halides with i will still have positioned above the SPS end of the tank so i hopr we have a nice summer and also help keep down the heat down as there seems to be very little heat transfer from the natural sunlight that comes through the tubes.

But come winter i think that the tubes will only be usable for the addition to help the halides out.

I must start a new post on the tank but at the moment it is on the to do listbut i hope to the first of the sola tubes in the next month so i will keep you up to date.