Zebra danios

Ira

Pegasus,

Is it common for zebra danios to have their heads (only) stuck in the eggs for quite a while, even when in this state they are capable of sort of swimming around?

It just doesn't seem right.

Also how long does it take for all the eggs that will hatch to hatch?

Some had hatched by Sun. morning and some still haven't hatched.

Cheers, kriber

Hi Kriber,

Some of the eggs may take 36 to 48hrs to hatch, and having only part of the body out of the egg is normal, and it should get free.

Without looking too closely, it looks like they are all head :)

Don't feed until they are fully free swimming, as they will be consuming their egg sacs.

You got those marbles out yet :):)

Wouldn't leave them in, as they are a great place for dead fry and polution to hide.

Yeah got the marbles out the day I spotted the eggs (probably the day after the spawning).

Conservatively counted only about 40 fry, I'm hoping i'll get around 60, but then I suppose the fry will experience a certain mortality rate.

The other day i thought there was between 150-200 eggs so who knows what i'll end up with.

Thanks for the info yet again :D ,

Kriber

• 2 weeks later...

Breeding zebra danios part two.

Put 3 zd's in a swanky breeding trap last night and this morning their spawning BUT the eggs are arriving in two different sizes :-? . I'm just wondering if the smaller eggs will likely be still viable?

The smaller eggs are probably just over half the diameter of the larger ones, the eggs I got from the 1st spawning were of this larger size.

Just realised I put 2F and 1M in their (couldn't catch any others quickly) would the different size eggs come from the 2 different females?

Later all, have a good weekend I've got to go do my sole day's work for the week - damn students! :D