AR380 to marine

dave

Well this is my first posting in the marine section.

Marines are something that i have thought about keeping but usually as far as it goes.

Well that i hope might change . I have a AR380 38 litre tank with the built in filter and light . I have seen that Jansens and Hollywoods in Auckland do sell these as marine tanks. Can it really be done as i have always thought especically with marines that you really need a large tank.

If so as i have never set up a marine tank Where do i Start ???

Advice would be apreciated as i will rather do things right rather than go into it completly green .

Thanks

Dave

hey dave, youve seen by current little tank, its fairly simple.

the thing you need to think about is what you want to keep and design the tank around that (rather than have a tank and shove something in it that might not "fit")

the filter in the aquaone tanks is not ideal, my brother just setup one but he is chucking the filter and putting in a protein skimmer and he is beefing up the lights so that all is left it the tank and the light part (sort of).

Thanks guys for you response so far.

Thinking about something simple maybe a clownfish and a anemone and a couple of bits of coral.Do realise due to the size of tank i am going to be fairly limted to what i can stock . Has anyone got a ar380 already set up if so what are the stocking levels like .

Protien skimmer deafeanily sounds good any recomendations on type or brand for smaller tanks

• 2 weeks later...

sorry bout hijacking this thread, but with the aqua one tanks is it best to remove the whole filter section and replace it with a hang on the back protien skimmer? if you do this would you have to run a external canister filter (empty) to provide the tanks circulation? or would internal powerheads do the job? also what sort of skimmer would be suitable, the sort of setup would be an ar620, 15kgs of rock, looking at stocking it with only 2 clowns and zooanthids. any thoughts would be apprieciated,

:D:D:D

bonnie

Hi ,

I have the AR620T with a Deltec MCE600 protein skimmer hang-on unit fitted . Was bit of a mission to get it fitted , but we managed to keep the filter box intact ( drilled holes through the filter section and used small plastic boxes to make a seperate box etc.. ) . Thanks to my brother for the excellent engineering to get it fitted .

or do you just use the protein skimmer, live rock, and powerheads for movement?

Right on the button :) 2xSeio 820 powerheads + Deltec MCE600 skimmer.

Well.. I will do once there's water in the tank hehe, not long now though. (impatiently waits for payday so he can be patient waiting for tank to cycle :) )

emptytank.jpg

still looks nice without the filter part, and the deltec skimmer is nice and unobtrusive :)

Little tip Rocketman, this is something I learned the hard way. That air hose can create a syphon if power goes off, the water will surge up the air hose, and if it makes it over the edge will start a syphon and dump several litres of water onto the floor. Should always have the end of the air hose above water level.

I was a two time loser with that before it sunk in I better fix it before it happened yet again :lol: