fineally bought an eheim fish feeder from????

jinx

wales, cant understand why it cost me $60 less than quoted at a shop here in ch ch. took 9 days to get here for the grand total of $102.35. and that included $26 postage, can certainly recomend john baker at aquatics online.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dennis

You are right, all is not gold that glitters. A cheap/cheaper item could turn out to be very costly. Whatever you buy, naturally it depends on the price too, you always should ask "can I get spares?". Some watches. Seiko, Citizen etc, have a worldwide guarantee. A 5 cent washer, could cost you many dollars on phonecalls, postage etc. I wanted to buy something in the states, the woman was honest and said, if something goes wrong, very unlikely though, you have to spend a lot on postage to get it sent back to us. And the postage back to you. And a lot of time wasted too. If I buy a $20 airpump or something like that, I wouldn't care. But if you spend a little fortune, that's a different matter. The money you saved in the first place is probably doubled or tripled when a repair is forthcoming........

John

As an aquarium rental business, we have tried out the Eheim (break down alot), Hydor (often faulty and go through alot of batteries) and Nutramatic feeders. Without hesitation I ccan strongly reccomend the Nutramatic. The batteries last a long time (still haven't had to replace in 18months) and have not received any faulty ones or had to have repaired. The nutamatic brand has now put out a cheaper model which feeds every 12 hours and I would estimate that the cost in the shops would be around $35-$40. We have tested these models and they appear to be fine.

When I first started (seriously) keeping fish I giggled at the idea of an 'automatic' fish feeder but after spending an hour (after working 9 hours already) feeding the fish I could just about be forced to go get 20!!! :lol: Mind you dont think anyone has invented an automatic brine shrimp machine that will, start the hatching process, watch it for three days, unplug it and suck out only the shrimp then walk around feed all the babies!! If they have please let me know where I can get one. My hubby quit!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I couldnt intentionally feed fish to fish! I am a mother and therefore have this large maternal instinct (damm it all) It kicks in right at the time I am about to drop unwanted fry into the tank with my larger fish. They then go back into the tank and I watch them grow up. Patting myself on the back for having such wonderful tanks of babies and no homes for them!!! So I kick them out on the street instead (not literally). :lol: :lol:

Hi Everybody!....

Cat re:automatic (in tank) brine shrimp hatcher

I have seen one!!! It hangs in the tank and the BBS swim out into the main tank when they have hatched, it was a long clear tube a bit wider than a UGF riser and about the same length, was air driven...., the shopkeeper assured me it was for a freshwater tank too, I was in a hurry so didn't really understand how it worked or how many brineshrimps it supported (not enough for growing fry I wouldn't think) and when I saw the price tag of AU$55 I stopped short :o and didn't bother to take it out of the box.

I should go back for a better look and maybe the DIY minds here could come up with something.

cheers,

Dianna

Hi Di

I would be careful. The Brineshrimp need a lot of salt to begin with. Then hanging that into a freshwater tank? Any mishaps regarding the eggs could spell disaster. Look for Pegasus' DIY setup for brineshrimps. Could be here or at Boronias.

John