Filter prices

Caryl

Grant and I were looking around fish shops in ChCh yesterday and were amazed at the difference in prices.

One shop had 2 Fluval 404s in stock. One was marked at $322.50 and the other was $368.00. Another shop had them for $419.95. All came with media.

I got quoted $270 for a fluval 404, so that is very expensive. What about the Via Aqua range? I recently got a 750 canaister model that does 1200LPH for $202 dollars and it is doing a brillant job on my oscar tank, goldie will testify to that. There is another brand on the market that is alot cheaper than the traditional models. I also have friends that are using models in this range and have no problems so far and swear by them :D I have found in ashburton alot cheaper than chch, and for fishfood as well.

I've had a Via Aqua 750 for over a year now on my Midas Cichlids' tank and it is doing a good job also. I would defintely but another if the price was right. It puts out more flow than my 404. However my 404 filter has issues as it has never come close to its rated flow of 1200 l/hr, even with a new head unit. I would definitely not recommend buying any of the Fluval 04 series unless they are the newer MSF series of 04's (mine is one of the original 404's, I got it cheap without realising at the time). My 403 and my 404 sit beside one another and are packed roughly the same. The 403 would do nearly twice the flow of the 404. They were a good design as far as filtration goes those Fluval 03's, just a pity they are so hard to clean out.

I also have a fuvel 404,one of the newer ones,bloody hopeless,it does not pump any thing like it should and always needs cleaning where it goes into the cannister.I have to do this a least once a week,the ehim filter that i use to run two bio wheels gets cleaned every three months and while it cost a little move it is well worth the extra money i paid

Hi Robert

I have a Flugal 204. Very disappointed. I am not sure what you mean by

"where it goes in". I think you mean the inlet-hose. In which case you are perfectly right. The new Fluvals have ribbed hoses. Total crap. Changed the inlet hose to an expensive Eheim one. Much better. But how many clean their Fluval and "don't clean the inlet hose?" Many or most. And that is where the most crap gets trapped. Every time I thoroughly clean the cannister and subsequently restarted it, an enormous amount of white "crap" came back into the tank. Very annoying. The only way to keep the tank clean, after cleaning the fluval, is to take both hoses off and use a brush. A type of bottlebrush made for the purpose of cleaning hoses. The real problem lies with the "convenient shutoff valve". It lulls users into a false sense of security. "Just shut the valve off, take off the cannister and clean it" .And leave a lot of dirt inside the ribbed hose!!!. Should I ever buy another cannister, which I doubt, definately not a Flugal. Only Eheim.

John

Hy Caryl

I always though the "new" hoses were ribbed. If you go to Hagen's site you can see in the manual that there are 2 types, smooth and ribbed. I happen to have the useless one. Ribbed. The original idea of a ribbes in hoses is, you can adjust (bend) it easier over the tank top.

John

The only time I have trouble with the flow is when the intake is blocked with leaves. I can imagine how the gunk would build up in a ribbed hose though. My Eheim came with a little brush attached to a long flexible handle for cleaning inside the hoses.

Hi Caryl

The brush with that flexible hose is the only way to clean it. But a little bit more work on a ribbed hose. That is the reason I changed it to an Eheim hose. 4 times as expensive as an ordinary run of the mill plastic hose, but it fits perfectly into the valve without using clamps. It most cases, where "convinient" valves are attached to the cannisters, the hoses are the one most neglected.

John