Suddenly cloudy water in the tank

Naomi Gunning

Hi there, can someone please offer me some advice???

My tank has been going great for months, and now the tank water has gone really cloudy. Its not green or brown just cloudy you can't see through it. I previously had an undergravel filter and 3 weeks ago i bought a fluval 104 i left the underground filter in while my new filter was getting some bacteria going through it. I can't seem to get rid of the cloudyness??? I have doing a 1 bucket water change everynight as per the petshops instructions and putting in cycle every night, but its not helping?

Hi there, abit more info on your tank would help to find the cause of the problem. How big is your tank. What have you got in there. Any new addition to the tank apart from the filter. Have you remove the U/G filter ?Did you disturbed the gravel? What is the parameter of your water(PH,Nitrite, Nitrate, Amonia) etc..

It might be a bacterial bloom causing the water to go cloudy. I would stop adding stress zyme everyday. Do a big water change and add something like B Clear to clear up the water. HTH

cheers,

ron

Hi there

I have a 90ltr tank, In have 5 tiger barbs, 2 zebra danios, 3 sword tails, I black shark with a red tail (can't remember what he is) 6 neon tetras, 2 platies, 2 albino sucker fishand a couple of small cat fish for the bottom I did buy some more neons in the weekend and put them in. All up i have about 25 fish do you think i might have to many??? I haven't had my water tested i will go to animates on Sat and get that done. I did however when i took out the undergravel filter i gave the tank a good clean as the water was black.

So you removed the undergravel filter and the water was black. To me, that says everything...

If the water went black it's because all the muck stuck under the undergravel filter got stirred up when removed. All the muck will be causing a bacterial bloom.

A flocculant will help clear the tank by binding up all the rubbish so the filter can clean it out. As soon as the water goes clear you'll need to clean the filter, - not too much, just remove the bulk of the rubbish.

Not quite up to speed with what floc’s are available for tanks today. Isn’t Accu-Clear one? Best to get opinions about different floc’s before using one as some can be hard on the fish. I’ve uses Acc-Clear before and it’s always worked ok. Another good one if you can still find it is Geo-Liquid (but it’s expensive). Haven’t had to use a floc for over 8 years…

Water changes will help too. It will go away all by itself given time and weekly water changes of 20%+.

So you did remove the UG filter. That explain why it is cloudy. Keep doing the 20% water change as suggested by Warren and yes you can add Accu-clear to bind all the minute particles together and the filter will do the rest. Check your Ammonia cos' there might be a spike now that you remove your UG filter.

Cheers,

ron