August 14, 200521 yr comment_60487 HI THERE, SO PLEASED I HAVE JUST BECOME A MEMBER OF FNZAS, HAVE BEEN READING SOME OF THE FORUMS AND I HAVE DEFINITLEY FOUND SOME VERY INTERESTING INF0. I HAVE HAD A 4FT TROPICAL TANK FOR A BOUT 5 YRS NOW, BUT HAVE NEVER HAD MUCH LUCK WITH GROWING PLANTS OR KEEPING MY PH AT THE LEVEL IT SHOULD BE, IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN ADVISE ME ON WAT I'M DOING WRONG, I WOULD DEFINITLEY APPRECIATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE. MANY THANKS LYNDA Report
August 14, 200521 yr comment_60493 Welcome to the fishroom The capslock key is on the left of the keyboard, between the shift and tab keys, pressing this will mean you don't have to shout at everyone (writing all in caps is generally taken as shouting, and is somewhat hard to read). In terms of keeping pH where it "should be", where is it now, and where are you trying to get it to, what fish do you have (it may be that where it is now is just fine and you're fighting a battle you don't have to)? Plants may be related to pH if it's miles off where it should be (with nz water I doubt that though), otherwise having enough lighting etc can be an important thing. More information about your tank will help here as well Cheers Report
August 14, 200521 yr comment_60502 Hi Lynda and welcome to the fishroom. By the way, joining this board does not make you a member of the FNZAS, it just gives you access to us . To belong to the FNZAS you must join an affiliated club. Unfortunately, the Levin club went in to recess a few years ago but I assure you there are fellow fishkeepers there! Nothing to stop you joining any of the other affiliated clubs though. Click on the FNZAS logo at the top of the page then look for the CLUBS link. As misnomer said, a bit more information about your tank would help. How many fish are in it? What sort? What sort of plants do you have? What is the tank pH? What is the tap water pH too for that matter? What happens to the plants when you add them to the tank? The answers to these will help us to help you. You can also join us in the chat room most evenings around 9pm. Report
August 15, 200521 yr comment_60534 Welcome aboard LYNDYLOO.......glad you joined us here, you'll learn lots.....just like I do everyday Report
August 15, 200521 yr comment_60548 Hi Lindy and welcome. Levin is my home town. I grew up there but left over 30 yrs ago. Still have some friends there though and was there a year or two ago for the Levin North School reunion. Cheers Judy Report
August 15, 200521 yr comment_60630 Hi Lyniloo! This is a great place...people are wonderful! I certainly can't help you with....plants...shiver shiver :-? :-? :roll: :roll: Not brave enough to try them...yet! Take care! Report
August 16, 200521 yr Author comment_60717 Hi there, Thanks to everyone that replied to my question about the ph level in my tank. My ph levels at the moment are well below 6 and would like it to be around the 7 mark I think. In this 330L tank I have a couple of large castle ornaments made of plastic and a plastic boat wheel, with a few rocks from out the river, fish wise I have Gouramis, Silver Dollars, Rosy Barbs, Tin Foil Barbs, Black Neons,1 very Lrge Pelco, 2 very Lrge Silver Sharks, (which I have just sold to Mystic),2 Clown Loaches,2 Lrge Angels, 2 small Angels,2 Red Tailed Botia(which are looking abit sick at the moment), think thats about it. I only have plastic plants as somebody keeps on eating the live plants that I put in, not sure who it is tho, if you have any ideas on who is eating them , it would be good to know.Any answers to these questions would be very much appreciated. By the way has anyone seen the new fake plants out now, I bought some the other day, they are made out of some sort of material, they look amazingly real, and they even move to the current in the water, they're great.Thanks Lynda Report
August 16, 200521 yr Author comment_60722 Sorry, I forgot to add the PH pf the water coming out of the Tap is 7, and as for the lighting that I have on top of the tank , I have Two fluro Bulbs measuring about 3.5 ft long and these are 30watts each.Once again thanks for any info. Lynda Report
August 16, 200521 yr comment_60738 You can point ya finger at the Silver Dollars for the plant eating. They are lawn mowers in disguise. Try some shell grit in a small box filter, thet will slowly alter you pH. Welcome to the site, some of us go to the chatroom about 9ish most nights for some innane talking . We sometimes do discuss fishie subjects tho, depends what comes up. Alan 104 Report
August 16, 200521 yr Author comment_60804 Hi Alan, Thanks for the info about adjusting the PH, you are meaning shell grit as in what you give to ya budgies, is that right? Sorry if I seem abit slow lol, and what do you mean by a box filter?Hmmm, so the Silver Dollars are the culprits then aye, I may have to consider getting rid of them then, just bought a heap of plants off Trade Me so I dont want them mysteriously disappearing again lol, are there any other fishies that like to eat plants? Would be great if you could let me know. Thanks Lynda Report
August 16, 200521 yr comment_60808 The barbs are partial to some plants too plus the plec will uproot them and destroy delicate plants Report
August 16, 200521 yr Author comment_60816 Hi Carly, Thanks for that, looks like my tank may look kinda empty if I remove all the plant eating fish aye, not quite sure wat to do now, will I go for the fish or will I go for the Plants, hmmm will have to have a serious think about it, wont I lol. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.